Communications | WASHINGTON, DC
The Communications Intern’s primary role is to provide support to the Communications Director in the areas of social media, blogging, and written collateral materials. Communications interns will work from the DC national office. Depending on the requirements of an intern’s college or university, an intern may receive course credit. An evaluation of the intern’s work will be provided that corresponds to an institution’s prescribed requirements..
PFLAG National is the nation's largest organization for parents, families, friends and straight allies of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people. PFLAG National has more than 200,000 members and supporters and over 350 affiliates in the United States. This vast grassroots network is cultivated, resourced and serviced by the PFLAG National Office, the Board of Directors and 13 Regional Directors. In addition to our staff and volunteers, PFLAG also depends on graduate and undergraduate interns interested in LGBT issues, nonprofit communications, social media, and graphic design/branding.
The Communications Intern will provide support to the Communications Director by :
- Drafting blog entries, press releases, and other written materials;
- Tracking communications efforts by other LGBT organizations;
- Providing general support, as well as overall assistance with broader campaign initiatives;
- Assisting in the planning and implementation of layout and design projects;
- Assisting with special communications projects as needed;
Public Relations or Communications majors a plus. The ideal candidate will have had previous internship experience or coursework related to public relations.
The successful applicant will have:
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to LGBT equality;
- The ability to think creatively and an interest in, and experience with, public relations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience in social media/new media applications including Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, YouTube, Blogger, Google Apps;
- Experience with MS applications including Word, Excel, Email;
- Experience in blogging, fact-checking, researching, and editing;
- Good organizational skills and the ability to juggle several tasks while meeting deadlines;
- Demonstrated commitment to working in a diverse office environment based on race, ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and physical ability;
- Can commit at least 15 hours per week.
- A bonus for applicants with html, video shooting/editing/vblogging skills, and/or design applications including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign;
Compensation and Academic Credit:
While the Communications Intern position is unpaid, academic credit can be earned, depending on your institution, and valuable experience will be gleaned from working in a national organization committed to securing full equality for all lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people. Significant exposure to social media strategizing/planning, federal and state policy/campaigns, development and fundraising communications, and press contact will be gained in a fast-paced setting. The Communications Intern will have a high amount of responsibility and will work in collaboration with key staff members working on important matters across all departments in the organization.
Apply online by clicking Apply Now below. Your application should include:
- A letter of interest stating:
- The approximate dates you are available and the estimated time per week.
- Why you would like to work as a PFLAG National Communications Intern
- What you can contribute to PFLAG National through your work as an intern
- Resume/CV to include:
- Three references (contacts, not letters of recommendation)
- Two writing samples of two different types (ex: blog entries, speeches, press releases, etc)
- Any graphic design or web samples
- Your college transcript (does not need to be official)
Please note: any submissions that do NOT include a cover note will not be considered - this is our introduction to you, we look forward to reading it!