Senior Mechanical Engineer
Engineering | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Join us in creating the next revolution in industrial robotics:
We are seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to work on developing innovative new robotic gripper products that securely grasp diverse and complex objects. This is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys making things happen in a small, rapidly growing company. We’re looking for a self-starter who has creative ideas, an organized approach, and a proven ability to execute at building amazing products.
Who are we: We design the most dexterous, adaptable, and interactive robotic grippers in the world. Our technology uses mother nature as inspiration with its millions of years of iteration and magic. Our current products include grippers that use adhesives that work like gecko feet and sensors that work like your fingertips.
Founded in 2012, we are a portfolio company at the Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI), where our headquarters is located, and we build our robots at their cutting-edge Advanced Prototyping Center. The origins of our technology come from research funded by NASA and NSF and now we are bringing gripper products to market for collaborative industrial robots.
We are building a multidisciplinary team of leading roboticists, engineers, material scientists, and computer scientists to develop and commercialize our grippers. Do you think you have what it takes to build the future of robotics? We look forward to hearing from you.
What we do: Perception Robotics develops bio-inspired robot hands. We have two unique technologies & products: 1) Gecko Gripper: by mimicking the gecko foot in polymer and casting into a robot hand, we’ve created a robust, low-energy way of gripping large, flat objects like solar panels. And 2) PolySkin, a pressure sensitive polymeric “robot skin” which we mount to our Tactile Gripper to create a very inexpensive and durable force-controlled gripper for handling a variety of fragile objects without the usual costs of force control mechanisms.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Design complex mechanical components and systems industrial automation and robotic gripper systems that include motors, gearboxes, sensors, PCBs, and custom connectors.
- Ability to take the product through the full product development cycle from concept to product with strong prototyping and testing capability
- Competence in designing electromechanical systems to meet diverse specifications of performance, cost, and manufacturability
- Design for low volume-high mix product and ability to drive cost-effective manufacturing methods based on the scale of products, life cycle, and volume
- Ability to work with a cross-functional team to commercialize robotic gripper product solutions for industrial automation
- Lead mechanical design team managing projects
- Manage mechanical engineering team of 4 engineers, technicians and interns (the team will grow quickly!)
SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 7+ years relevant mechanical engineering experience
- Proficient in CAD/CAM packages (SolidWorks is preferred)
- BOM management, sourcing, and procurement
- Ability to design mechanical fixtures and test apparatus
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Experience with developing design drawings and specifications for machined parts and manufactured components and systems
- Determine required tolerances using GD&T and produce drawings for release to suppliers
- Capability to run FEA at part and system level
- Project management experience
- Experience with ECO’s, process documentation and creating operating instructions
- Able to understand and apply industry standards (CE, UL)
SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE DESIRED:
- Proven success in the development of robotic systems with industrial robots and grippers
- Ability to design for a wide range of fabrication and manufacturing processes
- Experience in analysis and modeling of mechanism kinematics & dynamics
- Experience using PDM
- Experience in ISO, Lean Manufacturing, and 6 Sigma environment
EDUCATION: BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering required