Senior Electrical Engineer
Engineering | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Perception Robotics is seeking a full-time electrical engineer to work on exciting new robotics technology. Great opportunity for someone who enjoys working in a small growing company and wants to feel their contribution is valued and appreciated. This is a very supportive team-oriented environment.
WHO WE ARE:
'Perception Robotics is a tech start-up, founded in April 2012 and housed at the Los Angeles Clean Tech Incubator http://laincubator.org/. We integrate a variety of industrial robot systems (including Fanuc, Kawasaki, and Universal Robots) and conduct research for the National Science Foundation and NASA.
WHAT WE DO:
Perception Robotics is a materials technology company focused on solving manipulation problems in industrial robotics. We have two unique technologies: 1) a pressure sensitive polymer that can be inexpensively cast into any shape and gives robots a sense of touch and 2) a gecko-like polymer that can rapidly transition from being sticky to not-sticky. We leverage these technologies to tackle robotic pick and place problems for robots. Combined with stereo cameras and smart software, we’re making the next generation of material handling robots and the first robotics company to solve picking problems using touch and vision.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: You will be designing our data acquisition and transmission circuit boards for novel sensing systems. This will involve everything from board design and fab to documentation: requirements specifications, schematics, PCB artwork, verification test procedures, and test reports. The focus is on prototype and product development in a fast-paced start-up environment. You report to CEO (also CTO) however you need to work directly with mechanical and robotics engineers.
SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 5+ years relevant electrical engineering experience
- Electrical CAD schematic/ board layouts
- Perform schematic capture using Altium
- Digital design experience with microcontrollers, microprocessors, and memories.
- Analog design experience including interfacing with different types of sensors and signal conditioning.
- Manage Printed Circuit Bard design including, design, bill of material creation, layout, fabrication, and assembly
- +3 Years of software development
- native-level fluency in C/C++, especially in a Linux environment
- Familiar with various communications protocols: SPI, I2C, UART, USB, Ethernet, RS422/48, Bluetooth, WiFi etc.
- Knowledgeable of basic Ubuntu and Linux concepts
- Gets stuff done, has an entrepreneurial spirit, can be scrappy
- A self-driven engineer that does not require constant supervision
- Great written and verbal communication skills
SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE DESIRED:
- Industrial communications protocol a HUGE plus
- ARM uP
- Experience designing microprocessor-based systems for machine control and human interface
- Git administration
- Prolific in python including python 2.7 threads and subprocesses
- Finds challenges invigorating and knows how to become an expert in something new in a few days
- Good at explaining, good at thinking out loud, difficult to frustrate, and fun to work with
- Experience working with video processing, video cameras or image sensor products is a plus
EDUCATION: BS or MS in electrical engineering