Principal Full-Stack Engineer
Engineering | Remote (EMEA) | Full Time | From £70,000.00 to £80,000.00 per year
Principal Full-Stack Engineer
£70 - £80k
Are you ambitious, hungry and keen to begin a new chapter in your career? We are looking for a Principal Full Stack Engineer to join our energetic and ambitious team.
PeoplePerHour is the UK’s leading freelance marketplace. Founded in 2007, our vibrant community has over 2m users across 150+ countries, and we have paid out over £100m to freelancers.
We are a purpose-driven business. Everything we do stems from our desire to empower people worldwide to make bright ideas happen, building their business from the ground up and becoming financially and professionally independent. PeoplePerHour is an invaluable resource for small businesses in the UK and outside, giving them access to expert freelance talent on-demand so they can stay lean and flexible while growing.
We work tirelessly to improve our community and expand that community globally, helping to connect people and talent worldwide.
Who we want
We’re looking for an experienced and self-starting Principle Full-stack Software Engineer who can take ownership and drive forward the platform’s architecture while managing a small team of developers. At PeoplePerHour we all pride ourselves on our ability to take ownership in whatever role we are in, and we do this with ease knowing that we’re working within an incredibly supportive and collaborative environment. As a 15-year-old company, our platform is large and complex with a lot of legacy code, we’re therefore looking for a creative problem-solver who can apply their experience to identify and prioritise issues and their creativity to take a proactive approach to develop the platform with a Startup mindset.
What you’ll do
Core Technical Responsibilities
- Help monitor and assess the impact of bugs and product development to create efficient prioritization of development tasks.
- Help recruit and build a team of internal engineers to meet the needs of the company.
- Collaborate with heads of Marketing and Product to align with the strategic needs of the product.
- Assist with general planning, budgeting, and project coordination.
- Lead and support team members to create or improve procedures, policies, processes, systems, and technology requirements.
- Develop and utilise tools to enhance the company’s product/process development or performance.
- Mentor and grow technical talent within discipline/function.
- Lead and support complex product development for cross-functional teams, influencing multiple technical areas of expertise.
- Hold team accountable to deliver high-quality results with passion, energy and drive to meet business priorities.
- Identify and implement design and process solutions and ensure they are sustained over time.
- Lead code reviews for projects/systems as an independent reviewer applying design principles, coding standards and best practices.
- Track record of team leading and supervision.
- Experience working in a large web application and a deep understanding of how the web works.
- Strong knowledge of PHP and Composer.
- Used at least one popular PHP framework, preferably Laravel and/or Yii.
- Strong knowledge of HTTP(S) protocol and REST APIs.
- Experience in React.js, NPM and Webpack.
- Good knowledge of NodeJS and its concepts.
- Comfortable with Git, enough to coach other team members on git usage.
- Strong with Docker including building containerised apps and running docker in production.
- Understanding of architecting a web app optimised to run in containers. i.e. the 12-factor app methodology.
- Experience contributing to Unit and integration tests.
- Experience using relational databases, preferably MySQL. Bonus points if you have any experience with ElasticSearch, DynamoDB or other databases.
- Interested and enthusiastic about Security. Web app security, Linux server security and Cloud security. Educate others on security improvements to try to get all developers in the company to become security-minded.
Nice to have
- Experience working within AWS, with experience of the most common AWS services.
- Familiarity with a Cluster Operator such as Kubernetes.
- An understanding of Flux / Redux / unidirectional data flow.
- HTML/CSS skills including using a post/pre-processor like LESS or SASS.
Minimum Qualifications (Required)
- Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering/ Computer Science or related discipline & 8+ years of work experience.
- Experience with software development involving payments systems.
- Good level of written and spoken English.
- Eligible to work in the UK.
We are a global team with people spread across 3 continents working remotely, we also have an office in the bustling area of Soho London. Location is therefore flexible depending on each situation.
- Working remotely or in our central London office
- Flexible working hours
- Get some well-deserved rest with 25 days of holiday + bank holidays
- Stock Options
- Your choice of computer hardware and software
What should you do next?
If you feel this is the right role for you, please submit your CV.