Engineering Manager- Remote (EMEA)
Engineering | Remote (EMEA), United Kingdom | Full Time
Engineering Manager- Remote (EMEA)
We are looking for a brilliant Engineering Manager to join our Engineering Team. This is a unique opportunity to join a flat organization, manage a multidisciplinary team, work closely with several teams and get all the support you need to make your impact in the freelance industry by developing new products and features.
We are a purpose-driven business. Everything we do stems from our desire to empower entrepreneurs to make bright ideas happen, building their business from the ground up and becoming financially and professionally independent.
PeoplePerHour is an invaluable resource for small businesses in the UK and outside — giving them access to expert freelance talent on-demand so they can stay lean and flexible while growing.
We’ve been growing the freelance economy since 2007, being one of the first pioneers of the now ubiquitous on-demand economy. Since then we’ve amassed a community of over 3m skilled freelancers, served almost 1.5m businesses across over 180 countries and paid out more than £150m to freelancers over the years.
Our mission is to empower entrepreneurs, with the use of our freelancer marketplace, to turn their bright ideas into reality.
We constantly push the boundary by launching new products, investing our organic profits in new product development not just on the PeoplePerHour platform but also others in adjacent markets serving more specialised use cases. TalentDesk.io is our latest example of that — an enterprise SaaS product that allows large corporates to manage all their freelance workforce easily and seamlessly in one place, at scale.
The way we do things at PeoplePerHour
We cannot revolutionize the job space without first starting a revolution ourselves. We encourage people around the world to collaborate and seek the assistance of highly motivated, talented individuals. We are PeoplePerHour and we champion this collaborative way of working.
Our teams are small, empowered and agile. Our environment enhances knowledge, friendliness, and excellence - even if it means spending a bit more time to achieve perfection.
We believe our product needs input from every source, so we encourage open expression, ideation, and participation in order to achieve great user experience in our product. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people and businesses collaborate across the world.
Our Tech Stack
We constantly use cutting edge technology and at the same time, we endorse experimentation. Our internal monitoring systems make sure all our experiments are performed in isolation so hey, go nuts!
This is an outline of our current tech:
- Our web app is in ReactJS using Redux and supported by NodeJS
- Our Back end is in PHP using Yii, Laravel, and Lumen
- We use ReactNative for our mobile app
- All our applications are dockerized
- Our servers work on Kubernetes - the master of the universe!
- We like microservices. It is our way to move from a legacy monolith to a Services Oriented Architecture and to modernise our stack
- We like serverless technologies even more
- We use databases of all sorts to suit our needs: MySQL, Aurora, ElasticSearch, Redis, DynamoDB.
- Data Science is our way to the future! Our projects run on Java and Python and also consume a number of third party tools!
About the role
As an engineering manager you will be the interface between strategy and delivery. You will be working with the leadership team and translating directives to your team (the engineers) as actionable tasks and deliverables.
- Work with senior management to create user stories for product requirements
- Coordinate with Engineering, Marketing and other teams in order to maximize your impact on PeoplePerHour’s growth
- Go through the most important tech aspects or practical details with engineers in order to turn ideas into concrete acceptance criteria
- Create rollout plans and keep stakeholders updated on delivery dates
- Guide the team throughout the implementation and delivery process
- Test and sign off user stories before they are deployed to production
- Be a believer in pixel perfect execution
- Have a strong interest in UX
- Ensure your team and yourself are happy
Ideally, you’ll have
- At least 5 years of experience in Software Engineering and/or Quality Assurance
- Proven experience with writing user stories
- Familiarity with Agile frameworks (i.e. Scrum, Kanban etc)
- Experience with User Acceptance Testing (Usability Testing is a plus)
- Interpersonal skills to manage a team of engineers
- The ability to give constructive criticism
- Excellent communication and the ability to collaborate with many other teams
- An outcome-driven and data-informed mindset
- Incredible problem solving abilities
- The ability to work in a fast paced environment
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- MBA or Master's in engineering preferred
- Competitive salary with an annual pay review
- Remote work
- Access to enrichment opportunities
- A diverse and sociable team with a common goal
- London (UK), Athens (Greece) or Remote (EMEA)
- Strong English communication skills needed
What should you do next?
If you feel this is the right role for you, please submit your CV.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, PeoplePerHour is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, colour, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.