Data Science | Athens, Greece | Full Time
Are you ambitious, hungry and keen to begin a new chapter in your career? We are looking for a Data Scientist to join our energetic and ambitious team.
PeoplePerHour is the UK’s leading freelance marketplace. Founded in 2007, our vibrant community has over 2m users across 150+ countries, and we have paid out in excess of £100m to freelancers.
We are a purpose-driven business. Everything we do stems from our desire to empower people worldwide to live their work dream, building their business from the ground up and becoming financially and professionally independent. PeoplePerHour is an invaluable resource for small businesses in the UK and outside, giving them access to expert freelance talent on-demand. So they can stay lean and flexible while growing.
We work tirelessly to improve our community; not one day is the same and we grab opportunities with both hands and go after it fast.
Get to know us in a snap
Hear from our customers directly
This is how we celebrate success: PeoplePerHour 10 year birthday party
Don’t miss out on our latest TV ad
Twelve years into our journey it still feels as if it’s day one. The freelance economy is still at its infancy. And we believe it will fundamentally change the way companies – large and small – work and think about the way they find and use talent. That is why we are reinvesting organic profits into breaking out into new sectors & segments. Our new product, TalentDesk.io, is the enterprise solution to manage their temporary and permanent workforce in a more efficient and cost-effective way.
The way we do things at PeoplePerHour
We cannot revolutionize the job space without first starting a revolution ourselves – internally! We are PeoplePerHour. We encourage all people around the world to live their work dream and achieve autonomy! And we are the first to champion it!
We seek our team members to have an explosive career path and progression and we have set up specific evolution steps to make sure we achieve it – together.
Our teams are small, empowered and autonomous. We allow teams to define the methodology desired and used. From Scrum to Kanban, as well as other practices such as test-driven methodologies and pair programming, you will be the one defining it and you will be the one guiding us towards it!
Joining PeoplePerHour, you will find great colleagues to assist you technically and psychologically to achieve your goals! Our environment enhances knowledge, friendliness, and excellence - even if it means spending a bit more time to achieve perfection!
We believe our product needs input from every source, so we encourage open expression, ideation, and participation in order to achieve great user experience in our product. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people and businesses work across the world.
Finally, we always give back. We encourage open source contribution and provide the time to achieve it. What comes around goes around…
We constantly use cutting edge technology and at the same time, we endorse experimentation. Our internal monitoring systems make sure all our experiments are performed in isolation so hey, go nuts!
This is an outline of our current tech:
- Our web app is in ReactJS using Redux and supported by NodeJS
- Our Back end is in PHP using Yii, Laravel, and Lumen
- We use ReactNative for our mobile app
- All our applications are dockerized
- Our servers work on Kubernetes - the master of the universe!
- We like microservices. It is our way to move from a legacy monolith to a Services Oriented Architecture and to modernise our stack
- We like serverless technologies even more
- We use databases of all sorts to suit our needs: MySQL, Aurora, ElasticSearch, Redis, DynamoDB, Redshift.
- Data Science is our way to the future! Our projects run on Java and Python and also consume a number of third party tools!
If you are curious to find out more about our tech stack, keep reading in our blog.
About the role
As a Data Scientist, you will contribute to both new and ongoing projects of the Data Science Team. You will develop machine learning models from the ground up and deploy them to work in real-time with our core application.
Our machine learning models are deployed as python code in dockerized containers. Our core application is written in PHP, using the Yii framework and we also have a number of microservices built on the Yii, Laravel, Lumen, Spring Boot and Flask frameworks. We strive to use serverless technologies, ranging from Nodejs lambdas to complicated ETL operations.
Our databases are a vital aspect of our work, as they provide the valuable data to build our models. , So you will closely engage with increased data loads on MySQL and Aurora databases, as well as with Redshift and ElasticSearch.
- You act like an owner and are selfless while being accountable and goal-oriented
- You are a team player and do not throw the ball over the fence.
- You love honesty, hate sugar coating and constantly try to raise the bar.
- You pay attention to detail
- You are curious and open-minded
- You like to explore, experiment, and discover!
- Have good knowledge of python and SQL
- Be familiar and have hands-on experience with some of the most common machine learning algorithms
- Have a good understanding of relational databases and and hands-on experience with MySQL and Redshift
- Be comfortable using Git
- Have experience with Docker
- Be comfortable using the most common services provided by AWS such as EC2 and S3
- Think analytically and methodically with attention to detail
- Refactor problematic, incomplete parts and constantly improve our codebase
- Read, understand & debug code
- Follow coding standards and apply good practices
- Deliver testable, efficient, reusable, high quality and easy to read code
Bonus points if you
- Have experience working with large amounts of data using big data technologies such as Spark
- Have experience with Factorization Machines and Recommendation Systems
- Are familiar with other databases such as PostgreSQL, DynamoDB
- Have interacted with ElasticSearch or similar search engine (SOLR)
- Have used MongoDB or other NoSQL database to store application data
- Know how to create a containerized web app using a popular Web Server (Apache, Nginx) and configure it
- Have experience on Test Driven Development
A few of the many perks of joining the PeoplePerHour team:
- Competitive salary with an annual pay review
- Remote work
- Days off - We encourage breaks and freshness so we expect you to be with your loved ones on your birthday and name-day!
What should you do next?
If you feel this is the right role for you, please submit your CV.
We will then send you a short machine learning task to complete at home. If you perform well, we will invite you for a phone interview with our Head Data Scientist. This will focus on your technical skills and culture fit. If successful, you will then have a final interview with our CPO.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, PeoplePerHour is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, colour, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.