Engineering | Athens, Greece | Full Time
Are you ambitious, hungry and keen to begin a new chapter in your career? We are looking for a Back-End Engineer to join our energetic and ambitious team in Athens.
PeoplePerHour is the UK’s leading freelance marketplace. Founded in 2007, our vibrant community has over 2m users across 150+ countries, and we have paid out in excess of £100m to freelancers.
We are a purpose-driven business. Everything we do stems from our desire to empower people worldwide to live their work dream, building their business from the ground up and becoming financially and professionally independent. PeoplePerHour is an invaluable resource for small businesses in the UK and outside, giving them access to expert freelance talent on-demand. So they can stay lean and flexible while growing.
We work tirelessly to improve our community; not one day is the same and we grab opportunities with both hands and go after it fast.
Get to know us in a snap
Hear from our customers directly
This is how we celebrate success: PeoplePerHour 10 year birthday party
Don’t miss out on our latest TV ad
Twelve years into our journey it still feels as if it’s day one. The freelance economy is still at its infancy. And we believe it will fundamentally change the way companies – large and small – work and think about the way they find and use talent. That is why we are reinvesting organic profits into breaking out into new sectors & segments. Our new product, TalentDesk.io, is the enterprise solution to manage their temporary and permanent workforce in a more efficient and cost-effective way.
The way we do things at PeoplePerHour
We cannot revolutionize the job space without first starting a revolution ourselves – internally! We are PeoplePerHour. We encourage all people around the world to live their work dream and achieve autonomy! And we are the first to champion it!
We seek our team members to have an explosive career path and progression and we have set up specific evolution steps to make sure we achieve it – together.
Our teams are small, empowered and autonomous. We allow teams to define the methodology desired and used. From Scrum to Kanban, as well as other practices such as test-driven methodologies and pair programming, you will be the one defining it and you will be the one guiding us towards it!
Joining PeoplePerHour, you will find great colleagues to assist you technically and psychologically to achieve your goals! Our environment enhances knowledge, friendliness, and excellence - even if it means spending a bit more time to achieve perfection!
We believe our product needs input from every source, so we encourage open expression, ideation, and participation in order to achieve great user experience in our product. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people and businesses work across the world.
Finally, we always give back. We encourage open source contribution and provide the time to achieve it. What comes around goes around…
We constantly use cutting edge technology and at the same time, we endorse experimentation. Our internal monitoring systems make sure all our experiments are performed in isolation so hey, go nuts!
This is an outline of our current tech:
- Our web app is in ReactJS using Redux and supported by NodeJS
- Our Back end is in PHP using Yii, Laravel, and Lumen
- We use ReactNative for our mobile app
- All our applications are dockerized
- Our servers work on Kubernetes - the master of the universe!
- We like microservices. It is our way to move from a legacy monolith to a Services Oriented Architecture and to modernise our stack
- We like serverless technologies even more
- We use databases of all sorts to suit our needs: MySQL, Aurora, ElasticSearch, Redis, DynamoDB.
- Data Science is our way to the future! Our projects run on Java and Python and also consume a number of third party tools!
If you are curious to find out more about our tech stack, keep reading in our blog.
About the role
As a backend engineer, you will contribute to our core application, existing and new microservices, serverless parts of our stack and also interact with a multitude of databases.
Our core application is written in PHP, using the Yii framework and we also have a number of microservices built on the Yii, Laravel, Lumen, Spring Boot and Flask frameworks. We strive to use serverless technologies, ranging from Nodejs lambdas to complicated ETL operations.
Our databases are our horsepower, so you will closely engage with increased data loads on MySQL and Aurora databases while using our ElasticSearch cluster to perform search operations.
The final product is assembled and dockerized by the CircleCI pipeline to deliver the best performance and experience to our users.
Consider these four points to give this role a closer look
- You will work with creative and open-minded people who are not afraid to listen to your opinion, which will be highly appreciated and valued.
- You will participate in an agile team and develop features based on our roadmap
- You will deliver high quality scalable and well-tested code by following our comprehensive coding standards and follow our coding principles.
- Oh and.. we have a few more services to work with such as Redis, Redshift, DynamoDB, Kinesis, Lambda so as to increase the number of tools available. Cool, right?
If you want to impact real people’s lives, then this might be the right job for you!
- You act like an owner and are selfless while being accountable and goal-oriented
- You are a team player and do not throw the ball over the fence.
- You love honesty, hate sugar coating and constantly try to raise the bar.
- You are proud of the code you produce. Admittedly, nothing is perfect and so refactoring is your friend. You always like to leave the code better than you found it, in fact, it’s how you code every day.
- Have some experience working in a large scale web application and a good understanding of how the web works
- Have good knowledge of PHP and you’ll also know how to use Composer
- Have used at least one popular PHP framework (Yii, Laravel, Lumen etc)
- Be familiar with Java Spring or Java Spring Boot
- Have a good understanding of relational databases and some hands-on experience with MySQL
- Have a good understanding of HTTP(S) protocol and REST architectural style
- Be a frequent Git user
- Have some experience with Docker
- Have basic knowledge of HTML/CSS/JS to be applied if needed
- Be aware of the most popular/common services provided by AWS
- Have an understanding of authentication methods, application caches, and message queuing
- Be able and eager to contribute to Unit and integration tests
- Think analytically and methodically with attention to detail
- Refactor problematic, incomplete parts and constantly improve our codebase
- Read, understand & debug code
- Follow coding standards and apply good practices
- Deliver testable, efficient, reusable, high quality and easy to read code
Bonus points if you
- Have worked on a serverless environment
- Are familiar with other databases such as Redshift, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB
- Have interacted with ElasticSearch or similar search engine (SOLR)
- Have used MongoDB or other NoSQL database to store application data
- Know how to create a containerized web app using a popular Web Server (Apache, Nginx) and configure it
- Have experience on Test Driven Development
- Are a confident user of debugging & profiling tools like Xdebug
A few of the many perks of joining the PeoplePerHour team:
- Competitive salary with an annual pay review
- Private health insurance
- Flexible work - freelancing is all about flexibility so we provide 1 day/week remote plus an allowance for 1 week remote prior to your holiday season
- Days off - We encourage breaks and freshness so we expect you to be with your loved ones on your birthday and name-day!
- Unlimited coffee for encouragement!
What should you do next?
If you feel this is the right role for you, please submit your CV.
Next, we set up a phone interview with one of our engineers. This will focus on your technical skills and culture fit. Then we will invite you to our office so you can get the chance to experience our culture and meet our team. You will then perform a code test at home and if successful, you will have a final interview with our CTO.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, PeoplePerHour is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, colour, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.