Marketing & Communications Specialist
Communications | San Francisco, Ca | Full Time
The Parker Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy (PICI) is radically changing the way cancer research is done. Founded in 2016 through a $250 million gift from Silicon Valley entrepreneur and philanthropist Sean Parker, the San Francisco-based nonprofit is an unprecedented collaboration between the country’s leading immunotherapy researchers and cancer centers, including Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Stanford Medicine, the University of California, Los Angeles, the University of California, San Francisco, the University of Pennsylvania and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. The institute also supports top researchers at other institutions, including City of Hope, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Institute for Systems Biology and Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis.
By forging alliances with academic, industry and nonprofit partners, PICI makes big bets on bold research to fulfill its mission: to accelerate the development of breakthrough immune therapies to turn all cancers into curable diseases.
Help us create a world that doesn’t fear cancer. Join us. www.parkerici.org
Overview of the Role, Reporting Structure and Team
Reporting to the senior director of marketing and communications, the marketing and communications specialist will work with the entire communications team. Specifically, she/he will work closely with the team on content creation, digital and social media marketing, media relations, development efforts, and member and stakeholder engagement. The specialist will also lead specific tasks, including curating and compiling news, creating and updating resources and more.
The ideal candidate must be a highly organized, self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects at once.
NOTE: This role will be required to be onsite full time in our San Francisco office post COVID.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Essential Job Functions
The marketing and communications specialist will:
- Curate, compile and send relevant news articles to the PICI network each weekday.
- Create and update resources and materials on an ongoing basis.
- Collaborate with the team on presentation development, proofing, formatting and maintenance.
- Execute development communications efforts, including developing content and materials, managing donor communications calendar, event planning and more.
- Work with the team to promote and recognize donors and gifts via digital and media relations efforts.
- Integrate communications and development efforts through project management.
- Write, schedule and publish social media posts.
- Create content, specifically related to marketing campaigns (e.g., Cancer Immunotherapy Month, PICI anniversaries, etc.).
- Proofread and copyedit content.
- Publish content to the website including blog posts, project updates, new members, new staff, news articles and more.
- Help curate analytics and assist in compiling quarterly/annual metrics reports.
- Compile and maintain media and influencer lists. Compile media clips for announcements, campaigns and quarterly reporting.
- Execute internal communications efforts.
- Assist in member engagement execution, including communication with members, logistics for retreats and more.
- Execute efforts to drive stakeholder engagement for industry partners.
- Help plan communications annual retreats.
- Update internal documents including organizational charts, bios, profile images, etc.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English, Marketing or a related field.
- Two to five years of experience in marketing and communications, preferably in the science/health care field.
- Highly organized and an effective project manager.
- Proactive, creative, self-starter who takes initiative.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent proofreading skills.
- Ability to work in a multi-faceted, fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.