Director, Program Management
Business Operations | San Francisco, Ca | Full Time
The Parker Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy brings together the best scientists, clinicians and industry partners to build a smarter and more coordinated cancer immunotherapy research effort.
The Parker Institute is an unprecedented collaboration between the country’s leading immunologists and cancer centers. The program started by providing institutional support to six academic centers, including Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Stanford Medicine, the University of California, Los Angeles, the University of California, San Francisco, the University of Pennsylvania and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Recently, the institute also initiated programmatic support for top immunotherapy investigators, including a group of researchers at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.
The goal is to accelerate the development of breakthrough immune therapies capable of turning most cancers into curable diseases. The institute was created through a $250 million grant from The Parker Foundation.
Overview of the Role
The Director, Program Management is a highly visible individual who will work across the organization to drive initiatives forward, improving communication between projects, reducing duplication of effort, resources and improving efficiency. This position requires a professional with a strong background in project management and facilitation. PICI currently employs approximately 55 individuals, and the successful candidate will be responsible for engaging internally as well as externally with PICI collaborators to ensure projects are planned, resourced and proceed to a successful conclusion. This will include coordinating functional areas of PICI including research, research operations, informatics, business development, business operations and clinical development. It is expected that this position will both have an over-arching view of the different on-going projects and strategy, as well as see projects through to completion as necessary. This position must maintain perspective on resources needed to successfully plan and implement projects, ensuring compliance with consistent project management techniques. It is expected that this individual will teach, mentor and influence program/project managers both whom she/he directly supervises and others, developing and documenting best practices.
Reporting Structure and Team
The Director, Program Management will report to the VP, Business Operations and be a key member of the Business Operations team (including the Controller, HR Director and HR/Office Manager).
- Understand business, scientific and clinical needs; working with other staff, develop unique solutions to address issues and implement solutions in alignment with strategic goals
- Select, develop and influence methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for meeting operational, program and initiative objectives
- Represent and drive PICI culture, aligning projects/programs with the mission and core values.
- Ensure that progress is reported and communicated among collaborators and within PICI
- Identify and address any issues or conflicts arising in collaborations and involve others as necessary to resolve
- Working with the VP Business Operations and HR Director support and influence the internal communication strategy, actively promoting the mission and core values in messaging
- Influence without direct authority in a facilitative rather than authoritative manner
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Organizational Development or related field
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification plus 5+ years of project management experience (or equivalent); expert knowledge of project management principals, theories and concepts
- Great interpersonal communication skills and adept at conflict resolution; ability to communicate with all levels of organization
- Demonstrated superior analytical, problem solving, project planning and implementation skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills, ability to self-start, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Able to balance competing priorities and maintain composure while working in high pressure and changing circumstances
- Ability to assess and translate business strategies and workforce implications, and identify relevant solutions
- Ability to coordinate among multiple stakeholders on a regular and timely basis
- Strong knowledge of talent analytics, organizational design and development principles, strategic planning and change management methodologies
- Strong collaboration skills with the ability to create effective, deep and successful working relationships across all levels of the organization
- Strong assessor of talent, ability to coach for development, with exceptional consultative and facilitation skills and ability to influence senior leaders
- Curiosity, accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability and desire to be part of a developing start-up organization
- Communicate clearly, ask clarifying questions, share information willingly
- Maintain confidentiality when required
- Must be able to express concerns in a manner that encourages problem-solving.
- Preferred experience with Lean Methodology to assess, design and implement organizational improvements