Strategy & Capture Manager
business and operations | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with PARC should contact PARC Human Resources.
About the Job
The Strategy & Capture Manager is an established position on the Public Sector Global Business Development team that is critical to translating cutting-edge technology innovations into strategic engagements and high-quality government proposals that fuel our pipeline of high-impact commercial technologies. The primary responsibility of this position is to provide a centralized resource that supports PARC's research staff in (1) developing and implementing intelligence-driven government engagement strategies for a broad portfolio of disruptive technologies, and (2) co-authoring high-quality proposals that continuously increase the success and efficiency of our business development efforts. This role is an excellent opportunity to leverage experience with the government R&D community, technology commercialization, strategic partnership development, and business operations, while working everyday with world renowned innovators in the heart of Silicon Valley.
The Strategy & Capture Manager is an integrated resource for PARC's research staff to help them understand and innovate towards market needs, identify potential sponsors for emerging technologies, and lead interactions with targeted decision makers that lead to projects receiving critical injections of funding. PARC's philosophy for engaging with R&D leaders in the government is to empower the bright minds of our research staff with market intelligence and well formulated strategies that position them for successful technical interactions and enables long-standing relationships underpinned by PARC's scientific excellence and commitment to our customers.
The role is anticipated to be 25% inward facing encompassing engagement strategy development, operations development and implementation, business development training and mentorship, solicitation analysis, and financial forecasting; 25% outward facing encompassing customer relationship development and management, business intelligence collection and dissemination; and 50% encompassing end-to-end ownership of proposal development processes. This includes everything from developing innovative technology concepts with research leaders for new proposals, reviewing the technical writing contributions of PARC's world-class research staff, individual technical writing contributions that clearly articulates innovative technologies and their value propositions, to managing the day-to-day progress of the proposal team, to integrating and reviewing the final documents, and ensuring PARC's proposal submissions are polished and professional.
The ideal candidate is envisioned to be part “tech-geek" that is able to understand the implications of novel technology concepts, part “operator" with the ability to translate those concepts into practical benefits from the perspective of the customer, and part “craftsman" that is able to craft highly polished marketing and proposal documents. The Strategy & Capture Manager will report to the Senior Director of Public Sector Global Business Development. The role will involve extensive interactions across PARC research staff, operations staff, and the executive team, but will not involve direct staff supervision until further channel growth warrants additional support.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Play a leading role in the design, refinement, and implementation of processes that deliver high impact strategic engagements, proposal submissions and financial forecasting methods that leverages industry best practices.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key public sector decision makers aimed at understanding their interests and creating new opportunities for PARC in digital design & manufacturing, video & image analytics, artificial intelligence, human-computer teaming, and signal processing.
- Coordinate with PARC's leadership to define and execute “Sponsorship Campaigns" that are designed to build new business offerings tailored to addressing core technology development needs in the government.
- Provide input to PARC's leadership to help align their technology development pipelines with a balance of near-term government needs and longer term growth areas for technology development.
- Define, negotiate, and manage strategic partnerships with companies and organizations that enhance our ability to secure public sector funding and position PARC's technology outputs for commercialization.
- Review and assess solicitations and other funding opportunities, and engage research staff in ideation and concept development to generate new technology offerings that are differentiated from our competitors.
- Lead proposal development kick-off meetings and ensure that all task assignments are fully understood, managed and supported from start to finish.
- Lead internal proposal reviews, synthesize technical feedback and provide critical input to lead researchers on strategies for improving the quality of PARC's proposals.
- Contribute technical writing, with an emphasis on communicating concepts of operation and tailoring language for specific sponsors.
- Contribute to the design of PARC's “signature" proposal style and format, and ensure that it is consistently applied to all PARC proposals.
- Manage centralized internal and outsourced proposal support resources such as technical writing, layout, and graphic arts.
- Act as final editor, ensuring that all proposals meet quality and compliance standards.
- Coordinate executive review and approval of proposal submissions, and execute accurate and timely final submissions.
An ideal candidate would have a combination of the following attributes:
- A B.S./M.S. in Computer Science (or a related field) and demonstrated capability to grasp complex software and hardware technology concepts, engage with PhD researchers on such topics in a productive manner, and connect innovative new concepts to real-world applications.
- Familiar with machine learning techniques, cyber-physical security technologies, ubiquitous and mobile computing, embedded systems, data science techniques, and model-based systems for fault detection and prediction in complex systems.
- Direct experience working with one or more of PARC's primary public sector sponsors (i.e., DOD, DOE, NIH, NASA, DOT, etc.), as well as an active network of contacts and relationships in the R&D community.
- General programming skills in at least one production-software grade language (C/C++, Java, or Python)
- Excellent technical writing skills (writing samples may be requested).
- Meticulous editor – the kind of person that cannot let a document go until every page is uniformly formatted, every acronym is defined, and every sentence is grammatically correct.
- Experience leading small teams and managing processes under high-pressure time constraints without sacrificing quality.
- Experience in presenting complex subject matter and insightful analysis to executive teams that ultimately helps drive informed decisions and successful outcomes.
- Experience in building new technology focused partnerships or teaming arrangements with companies, universities, government agencies, or non-profits.
- Strong background in leveraging Excel to extract new insights from large datasets that inform growth strategies and increase the accuracy of financial forecasting.
- Good communication skills and a team player that performs well when faced with deadlines.
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K. PARC also strives for the best possible work-life balance, so employees benefit from maternity, paternity and adoption leave, as well as a variety of flexible working options. PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).