Software Engineer for Natural Language Understanding and Speech
software research and engineering | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
Software Engineer to be a key member of a small and versatile team to design, test, deploy, and maintain research prototypes and software solutions focused on natural language understanding and speech analysis.
About the Job
We seek a talented and enthusiastic software engineer to be a key member of a small and versatile team to design, test, deploy, and maintain research prototypes and software solutions focused on natural language understanding and speech analysis. Candidates should have strong competencies in data structures and algorithms as well as in-depth knowledge of systems architecture. They should be able to collaborate closely with a team of researchers, engineers, and designers to understand and build robust prototypes with high-quality code in rapid cycles. We need passionate engineers to tackle new problems that will help push our technology forward.
The successful candidate will be an essential part of the CHAT (Conversational Human Agent Technology) group, a new, exciting effort in the Intelligent Systems Lab at PARC focusing on everything around conversation: from understanding and modeling how humans communicate to developing engaging artificial conversational agents. Our current projects include phone call analytics and conversational agents, all targeted towards defining the next generation of customer care experience.
- Research, design, and develop robust prototypes and software applications including testing and when required distribution packaging
- Contribute to various projects utilizing natural language processing, artificial intelligence, speech processing, and machine learning
- Evaluate existing software packages and technologies for adoption or integration of new capabilities
- Coordinate tasks and activities to transfer technology to commercialization teams
- Participate in brainstorming sessions to solve a variety of problems
- M.Sc. in Computer Science or related field
- Strong background in data structures and algorithms
- Excellent implementation skills in web applications development as well as familiarity with languages such as C/C++, Java, Python
- Experience with system design and architecture
- Strong communication skills
- Creativity and innovative thinking
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K). PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with Xerox should contact PARC Human Resources.