Software Architect - Digital Manufacturing
software research and engineering | Palo Alto, CA
Experienced software architect with an interest to lead development of a small team.
About the Job
Continuing on its legacy, PARC is a unique contributor to modern-day technology innovation. At PARC we perform academic-grade research, mature it in an agile fashion while testing market fit and business potential, and then commercialize the resulting technology in the form of product and services of our mother company Xerox, licensing the technology to other companies, or spinning-out companies.
In the System Sciences Lab (SSL) we specifically focus on research and innovation in artificial intelligence, machine learning, planning, control, and optimization with applications in cyber-physical systems, CAD/CAM, Urban Mobility, Energy, Aerospace, and Defense industries. The lab’s focus extends beyond invention. The team creates new business options and opportunities. We’re driven to get our ideas out of the lab and into the world and we need superb software talent to make that happen.
We are searching for a software architect who will help us mature and develop our software in the digital manufacturing space. In this role, you will:
- Lead the software development of a team of researchers and brings best practices in software design, testing, and quality assurance to the team
- Serve as a strong technical lead, software architect, and chief hacker
- Write elegant, maintainable, reusable code: we need someone who can go beyond architecting a software system. A major part of this role is programming.
- Open up new avenues and keep things realistic – this team solves amazing problems – you are integral to that and you are partnering with the research team to achieve brilliant solutions.
- Bachelor or Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- Commitment and solid understanding of object-oriented software design in C++
- Familiarity with common design patterns
- Experience architecting, designing, and developing C++ applications
- Demonstrated successful deployment of commercial software
- Experience with code reviews, automated testing, code coverage, and agile development
- Eagerness to learn new technologies
- Desire to create and deploy good software with active users
The Following Experience is a Plus:
- Experience leading a small, high-velocity, professional software engineering team
- Experience with C++11
- Experience with GPU programming
- Experience as a Scrum master
- Familiarity with WebGL
- History of personal involvement in software architecture for CAD/CAM/CAE applications
- Proficiency in basic geometric modeling and computational geometry methods
- Practical knowledge of 3D modeling tools and CAD kernels
- Please include C++ code samples as well as links to online presence in your application (e.g., on StackOverflow, Github, forums, etc.).
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K). PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (seehttp://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
About the group
PARC’s Intelligent Systems Laboratory (ISL) research organization is unlike any other. Combine the best of an esteemed research group, a top-notch university, an entrepreneurial startup, and a premiere technology company and you get ISL. Our group melds its world-class innovation chops with researching and developing real-world applications that have market potential, focusing on creating new business options and opportunities. We’re driven to get our ideas out of the lab and into the world, and we need superb research talent to make that happen.
At PARC we like to say we’re in the business of breakthroughs – join our world class research team as the digital design and manufacturing lead who busts through the glass with us and help us re-invent new rules that will define the future of manufacturing.
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with Xerox should contact PARC Human Resources.