Senior User Experience Designer
design and user experience | Palo Alto, CA
Designer with training and experience user experience/interaction design for various devices
About the Job
We are looking for a senior user experience designer to work in the newly established Innovation Services Group (ISG) at PARC.
- Design compelling user experiences for innovative technologies
- Design prototypes and presentations that powerfully communicate design concepts and tightly link them to an understanding of human behavior
- Translate observations about human practices into clear requirements for novel products or services
- Conduct or commission user evaluations to iteratively refine designs
- Work with technology researchers, business people, and management to help them communicate research findings and business value
We conduct research in a broad range of domains, both consumer and enterprise, so you should be comfortable tackling a diverse range of projects. Recent projects have covered:
- Mobile communication
- Personal finance
- Call centers
- Urban parking services
- Online gaming
- Elementary school education
- Human-robot communication
Your output may be in the form of design sketches, wireframes, storyboards for a scenario, or detailed design mockups that have gone through rounds of iteration. You may be designing for smartphones, tablets, Web, desktop, or novel forms of technology you are helping to invent. You should have demonstrated the ability to work closely with software and (ideally) hardware engineers. You should be able to show how you can quickly grasp the capabilities and limitations of new technologies, then design products and services that take advantage of the tradeoffs.
Beyond all this, we are looking for someone who is creative, innovative, and comfortable working on multiple projects at once, great at collaborating with others from multiple disciplines, and able to inspire us to solve problems differently from how we (and our clients) have imagined.
- 5+ years of experience designing user experiences in either a product or research setting
- Formal training in user experience/interaction design
- In-depth understanding of all aspects of user experience/interaction design including leading collaborative brainstorming sessions, defining personas, creating wireframes and architecture diagrams, use case development, and conducting user testing
- Experience with a variety of tools to produce designs at different levels of fidelity
- Experience designing for a variety of devices, including some combination of Web, mobile, tablets, TV, embedded electronics, e-readers, and others
- You can create visually compelling designs and visually appealing presentations that communicate a message clearly
- Ideally, you have participated in ethnographic observations of human activity for the purpose of generating ideas for technology or have been involved in the analysis process to generate ideas for new technology concepts
- Ideally, you have some graphic design training, or at least have good visual design skills.
- Ideally, you have written papers or articles explaining your designs and the value they provide to users
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K). PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
About the group
Innovation Services Group (ISG) studies human behavior and works with technology partners to develop concepts and prototypes for novel products and services.
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.