Senior Ethnography Researcher
software research and engineering | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
Innovation Services Group is looking for a well-qualified, experienced qualitative researcher candidate to lead and execute video ethnography projects for a large corporate client of PARC.
About the Job
The Innovation Services Group of the Systems Science Lab has an opening for a senior member of research staff, specializing in qualitative methods, specifically in video-based ethnographic research. The candidate will independently lead and execute a range of ethnographic research projects for one of PARC's largest corporate clients. The position requires a high level of expertise in performing ethnographic research, leading research projects, delivering and communicating research results to stakeholders, and an ability to manage client relationships and interactions directly. Candidate will be responsible for project scoping and proposal workflows, managing the execution of the projects and coordinating participant/site recruitment, working closely with the client stakeholders and PARC management. The right candidate is a mixture of strong leadership, client-facing communication skills, and detail-oriented management of several concurrent projects.
• Work closely with client stakeholders to scope, plan and execute ethnographic research studies in a variety of corporate, customer, or partner field sites
• Organize and execute a project schedule, meeting regularly with client stakeholders and internal PARC personnel to communicate progress and challenges
• Recruit participants and/or field sites in accordance with the project scope and objectives, working through client contacts or with outside recruiting agencies
• Schedule travel to from field sites and manage all project costs in accordance with scoped and approved budget
• Execute ethnographic research activities, document findings and deliver high-quality, multi-media research reports and deliverables to client stakeholders and PARC management
• Work collaboratively with other members of Innovation Services and PARC research teams as needed
• Mentor research interns whenever placements are made
• Assist with other administrative and managerial tasks as needed
Required Skills & Experience:
• Master's Degree in a social science discipline; PhD degree preferred
• Minimum 5+ years of conducting ethnographic research
• Minimum 3+ years of client-facing experience
• Minimum 3+ years of large project management/coordination experience (multiple concurrent project experience strongly preferred)
• Minimum 3+ years of working in a corporate or large-business environment
• Extensive experience working with video production software and working with large video data corpora
• Extensive experience with typical office productivity tools and software
• Excellent project management skills (schedule, staffing, risk management, problem solving)
• Excellent multi-tasking and time management skills
• Experience working in multi-cultural or cross-cultural contexts
• Ability to travel domestically is required; ability to travel out-of-country preferred
Nice-to-Have Experience and Skills:
• Experience working with distributed teams
• Experience working with UX design professionals
• Certifications or background training in leadership, communication, negotiations, and/or project management
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K. PARC also strives for the best possible work-life balance, so employees benefit from maternity, paternity and adoption leave, as well as a variety of flexible working options. PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with PARC should contact PARC Human Resources.