RF Engineer - Member of Technical Staff
Hardware Research and Engineering | Palo Alto, CA
The Hardware Systems Lab (HSL) has an immediate need for an RF Engineer (Member of Technical Staff) with a broad set of technical skills and an MS (or higher degree) in Electrical Engineering.
About the Job
PARC is an R&D powerhouse with an extensive IP portfolio of materials, printing and computing technologies, a long-standing culture of innovation, and a world class team of experts. This strong value proposition uniquely positions PARC to bring to market exciting and disruptive technologies at the intersection of metamaterials, energy and power electronics. One of the focus areas is to develop RF technology platforms for a wide variety of applications including consumer electronics, medical, sensing, as well as defense applications. Another main area of focus is to develop an ambitious high-frequency power converter design targeting record miniaturization and efficiency.
The Hardware Systems Lab (HSL) has an immediate need for an RF Engineer (Member of Technical Staff) with a broad set of technical skills including experience with RF & analog circuit design, simulation, analysis, and testing; PCB design and layout; power conversion; with extensive experience with RF measurement equipment such as spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, RF anechoic chambers, and automation scripting of equipment.
The candidate will lead two major projects in the emerging technologies pipeline: (1) the development of our unique RF Metamaterials technology platform and take it from the embryonic stage all the way to a fully-functional commercial prototype for a variety of customers across multiple market segments; (2) the development of a new breed of high-frequency power converters. It is expected that the candidate work closely with team members, subcontractors, vendors, OEMs and market-facing partners. The candidate is also expected to contribute technically to other leading-edge technologies in the hardware labs, with opportunities to independently develop novel concepts and seedling projects. The candidate will also be involved in advancing our RF metamaterials defense platform for all major branches of the U.S. Department of Defense.
The responsibilities also include “owning” and maintaining PARC’s dedicated RF/Microwave chamber, purchase capital equipment and devise/improve experimental setups.
MS (or higher degree) in Electrical Engineering. At least 3 years of relevant experience designing and developing a mix of RF components and/or integrated circuits, including experience in analog circuit design, and hands-on measurements in RF anechoic chamber.
U.S. Citizenship or Green card (U.S. permanent residency) is required, and non-negotiable, to work on our ITAR-restricted technologies.
Prefer hands-on electrical engineering major (MS or higher degree), having 3+ years of relevant experience, with a varied background that includes:
- RF & analog circuit design, simulation, analysis, and testing experience.
- Experience using microwave characterization tools such as Vector Network Analyzer (VNA), spectrum analyzer and communication test equipment.
- Experience carrying RF measurements in an RF anechoic chamber.
- PCB design and layout (parasitic-aware).
- Spice modeling.
- Familiarity with the performance characteristics of passive and active RF components including amplifiers, oscillators, attenuators, mixers and filters.
- DC/DC power conversion; High voltage systems.
- Device modeling and circuit design and simulation for printed and large-area electronics projects.
- RF antenna development experience. i.e., experience designing, fabricating and testing antennas from MHz-GHz frequency range.
- Experience designing and testing phased array antenna and/or electrically-scanned antennas.
- Proficiency with RF test equipment and RF simulation tools (E.g. CST Microwave Studio, COMSOL AC/DC module, FEKO, Antenna MAGUS, etc…).
- Programming skills (C/C++, scripting languages and LabVIEW).
- Low-power circuit design.
- Experience architecting cost-effective wireless solutions tuned to system data throughput requirements, physical range, power consumption, and form factor.
- Candidate must be a top-performer and driven to work in this fast-paced R&D environment.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously under tight deadlines.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with all levels of management, business development, researchers, and clients.
- Solid planning, organizational and problem solving ability.
- Flexible, organized, self-motivated and autonomous.
- Demonstrated teamwork and relationship-building skills on site and remotely.
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K). PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with Xerox should contact PARC Human Resources.