Research Associate - High Temperature Experimentation Term Hire
Hardware Research and Engineering | Palo Alto, CA
Independent, motivated materials scientist with experience in high temperature processing (>800 C).
PARC, a Xerox company, located in Palo Alto, CA, is accepting applications for a Research Associate position in order to contribute to a focused research program on materials for use in extreme environments. A successful candidate must demonstrate expertise in ceramic firing, and understanding and measuring thermo-mechanical properties of ceramics at high temperature.
- A Bachelor’s degree or professional diploma in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Electrical Engineering or a related field.
- Prior experience in high temperature (>800 deg C) processing of materials a must.
- Independent and highly motivated with hands-on skills.
- Excellent communication and written skills.
- Mechanically inclined, be able to construct necessary laboratory testing equipment and fixtures and be familiar with hands-on laboratory work.
- Preferred candidates will have experience in HTCC field.
- Experience in mechanical design of small fixtures a plus
The position is for one year with the option of renewal based on satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Help implement a high-temperature materials testing facility in order to study electro-mechanical properties of ceramic materials at elevated temperatures.
- Investigate novel approaches to processing bulk ceramics, ceramic coatings, ceramic-to-ceramic joints, ceramic-to-metal joints and bulk ceramic-matrix composites systems.
- Carry out experimentation in order to analyze thermal, electrical and mechanical properties of cermet composites in extreme environments.
- We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K). PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
- PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
- Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.