Prognostics, Systems Health Management and Predictive Analytics
software research and engineering | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
PhD in Computer Science or related fields with experience in prognostics, predictive analytics, diagnostics, image/data analysis, or machine learning
About the Job
We are seeking an applied research scientist in prognostics, systems health management, data analytics, machine learning, or related fields to join a team of researchers developing innovative device fleet management systems. The focus area is automated predictive analytics based on transactional, image, machine logs, and other modality data streams from a fleet of complex electromechanical devices/systems. Applications may include classification of captured data, trend detection, alerting, incipient fault detection, fault prediction, remote diagnosis, and remaining useful life estimation.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who can communicate with customers, elicit requirements, define and refine application concepts, and take ideas from the drawing board to prototype deployment. This is an applied research position: we are seeking candidates interested in delivering results based on cutting edge data analytics, prognostics, feature extraction and machine learning methods.
- Work with stakeholders to understand customer needs for fleet and systems health management
- Design, develop, and deliver innovative approaches, algorithms, methods, and models as needed
- Make buy-versus-build decisions for platform software and hardware capabilities
- Design and deliver software prototypes
- Lead/contribute to efforts on engaging new customers and developing new business opportunities, including proposal development
- Ph.D. or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related fields
- At least five years of experience in prognostics, predictive analytics, diagnostics, image/data analysis, or machine learning
- Experience with prognostics and health management (PHM) concepts, methods, and tools
- Strong presentation and written communication skills
- Hands-on software and algorithm development
- Commitment to developing quality software
- Experience with fleet/systems health management applications
- Experience with predictive analytics applications
- Experience with MATLAB and related toolboxes and/or C# and related tools
- Leadership skills and experience managing research or development teams
- Previous experience in an applied R&D setting working with other Ph.D.-level research scientists
- Track record in raising research & development funding
- Demonstrated business development skills
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K). PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
About the group
People work at PARC because they want to transform their ideas into real-world breakthroughs in collaboration with a talented, multidisciplinary, diverse team of researchers partnering with academia and leading domain experts in industry. Automation for Engineered System (AES) is a growing group of researchers with world-class strengths in diagnostics, prognostics, fleet management, data analytics, model-based design and manufacturing of complex engineering systems. The work in AES covers a broad range of technology maturity, from abstract algorithm formulation all the way down to embedded software implementation on physical hardware platforms that span various application domains such as intelligent transportation systems, manufacturing, energy storage, and cloud computing. For more information, please see www.parc.com/work/focus-area/intelligentautomation/
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with Xerox should contact PARC Human Resources.