Machine Learning and Data Mining for Anomaly Detection
software research and engineering | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
A PhD in computer science or related field with experience in inventing and applying state-of-the-art machine learning and data mining technologies
About the Job
The Intelligent Systems Lab at the Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) is developing data analytics solutions for government and commercial clients to transform large datasets into knowledge and decisions. Recent projects include developing anomaly detection technologies to identify malicious insider threat in government organization, finding fraud, waste, and abuse from medical insurance claims, and developing information systems to help subject matters experts to efficiently perform data analytics tasks in a number of applications.
We are seeking a research scientist in machine learning. The candidate will work with internal and external collaborators and is expected to take on challenges in reasoning and analyzing large volumes of data.
- Analyzing and developing novel machine learning algorithms for spatial, temporal, relational, and/or textual data
- Identifying research goals and proposing strategies to investigate them
- Publication of scientific results
- Consulting with clients, rapidly learning new domains and formalizing problems
- Implementing practical machine learning solutions for industrial problems
- Patenting technologies with commercial use
The candidate should have experience in inventing and applying state-of-the-art machine learning and data mining technologies, including statistical relational learning, graph mining, anomaly detection, Bayesian inference, and related fields.
- PhD in Computer Science, Statistics or related field
- Core knowledge of machine learning techniques including both supervised and unsupervised models (extraction of patterns, density modeling, regression and classification for spatial, temporal, graphical, and/or textual data)
- Good communication skills including experience writing papers and grant proposals as well as polished presentation skills
- Ability to formalize practical industrial problems and an understanding of the practical considerations of machine learning including data cleaning and the ability to creatively design data features to expose important aspects of a domain
- Ability to prototype practical industrial applications using common programming languages and toolkits
- Bayesian models, Statistical Relational Models, Hidden Markov Models, Random Fields
- Anomaly detection, recommendation systems, pattern mining, trend prediction
- Experience with big data and large scale machine learning, ETL, and relevant toolkits, such as Hadoop and Mahout
- Experience with maching learning tools such as WEKA, Orange, libsvm, Alchemy, SQL, pyml, R, JAGS
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K). PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (seehttp://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
About the group
PARC’s Intelligent Systems Laboratory (ISL) research organization is unlike any other. Combine the best of an esteemed research group, a top-notch university, an entrepreneurial startup, and a premiere technology company and you get ISL. Our group melds its world-class innovation chops with researching and developing real-world applications that have market potential, focusing on creating new business options and opportunities. We’re driven to get our ideas out of the lab and into the world, and we need superb research talent to make that happen.
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with Xerox should contact PARC Human Resources.