Head of Engineering
IoT New Venture | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
PARC is unlike any organization in the world. Located in Silicon Valley, PARC is a renowned research and Open Innovation company that’s been at the heart of some of the most important technological breakthroughs of our time. Combine the best of an esteemed research organization, a top notch university, an entrepreneurial startup, and a premiere technology company and you get PARC, a team that melds its world-class innovation chops with a focus on researching and developing real world applications that have market potential. PARC’s focus extends beyond invention: the team creates new business options and opportunities.
Building on some exciting developments in sensing, analytics, and the IoT, we have an exciting new opportunity for a key leadership role as the Head of Engineering to support a new venture incubated by PARC. You will take on the responsibilities similar to startup CTO, leading the engineering effort to bring an optical sensing-based health monitoring solution to market for transportation structures. The technology employs cutting edge optical sensors, structural models, and advanced analytics to help customers generate and manage critical structural assets through the IoT. A case study with details is available at https://www.parc.com/case-study/transforming-bridge-maintenance-asset-management-with-iiot-system-analytics/
The team is currently in late-stage customer trials and are looking for an experienced technical leader who can get the technology ready to scale, harden the hardware and software technology components, streamline the modeling/analytics pipeline, manage the onshore/offshore development team, organize QA/testing, and create the vision for the product platform. This role has some unique benefits: the “ownership” that comes with being in a startup business along with the opportunity to collaborate with world class technical talent.
- Lead the engineering effort to take an innovative optical sensing and predictive analytics solution to market
- Manage onshore/offshore DevOps, ensuring that milestones are met cost-effectively
- Drive transfer of research prototypes to hardened field-deployable technology
- Oversee development of technology solution, manage bill of materials, and vendor relationships for sensing hardware builds
- Manage the scaling of the solution, support deployments, and oversee documentation
- Ensure the robustness, compliance, and security of the offering
- Lead development and execution of the vision for the product platform and architecture
- Manage interactions with key internal and external stakeholders including effectively communicating technology status, vision and roadmap
- Required – Advanced degree in Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical, Civil, Aerospace Engineering or related discipline
- Experience leading technical teams that have successfully taken a sensing and analytics solution to market
- 10+ years of technology development experience with specific experience (5+ years preferred) developing sensors, structural models, IoT-connected systems and/or building an efficient end-to-end system analytics pipeline
- Direct experience with fiber optic sensors and structural health monitoring is a plus
- Able to work effectively across research, development and business teams to collaborate, resolve problems and engage support
- Self-starter with excellent written and verbal communication skills
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K. PARC also strives for the best possible work-life balance, so employees benefit from maternity, paternity and adoption leave, as well as a variety of flexible working options. PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities. PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with PARC should contact PARC Human Resources.