Facilities Manager / Chief Engineer
business and operations | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
Facilities Manager / Chief Engineer
About the Job
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we are a strategic innovation partner - helping organizations navigate the complex, ever-changing world of science and technology. We help organizations assess emerging scientific frontiers, enable them to react to disruptive forces by applying novel scientific concepts to their businesses, and empower them to make better technology investments for the future.
PARC operates an advanced hardware and software laboratory in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our facility is dynamic, constantly being reshaped to follow the leading edge of our research across Printed Electronics and the Internet of Things, Energy Systems, Digital Design & Manufacturing, Human-Computer Collaboration and Artificial Intelligence, and Video & Image Analytics. The site encompasses class 100 to 10,000 clean rooms, a wide variety of specialized hardware development lab spaces and their associated support systems, a full-capability model shop, multiple server rooms, a floor dedicated to software research, as well as the usual array of facilities such as a cafeteria, fitness center, auditorium, and conference rooms.
PARC’s Site Services team manages both the day-to-day operations of this complex infrastructure, as well as the long-term strategy and investment to ensure that it continues to support our business into the future. There is a team of seven full-time staff (covering mechanical and carpentry support, machinists, shipping & receiving, etc), as well as a portfolio of support contractors.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Facilities Manager / Chief Engineer has comprehensive responsibility for everything at the PARC site and the Site Services team. The role involves direct interaction across the employee base to understand a constantly evolving set of needs, and coordination of internal and external resources to efficiently and effectively deliver what is needed. Day to day operations span everything from ensuring routine maintenance of installed systems, to serving as project manager for multi-million dollar lab development projects. We are seeking a Facilities Manager / Chief Engineer who has the technical background to effectively interface with the technical work that we do, the leadership skills to mentor our Site Services team, and the business acumen to manage our support contractors and special projects.
This is a great opportunity for either a proven Facilities Manager who is looking for the more dynamic set of strategic and operational challenges that PARC represents, or an Engineer who is ready to step into a management role to lead a team of their own.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage day-to-day Site Services operations, including infrastructure maintenance, occupant support, and development projects. Develop and set operational procedures and policies.
- Provide technical leadership to identify, assess, and coordinate complex cross-cutting technical activities. Roll-up sleeves and jump in where necessary.
- Operate in a continuous improvement model, using KPIs to measure, monitor, and guide service delivery.
- Direct management of the Site Services team, including setting and managing goals, setting and guiding professional development plans, and ensuring alignment of roles and capabilities to support evolving service models.
- Contracting and management of third-party service providers to ensure efficient coordination with PARC’s Site Services team, and seamless integration into the PARC end-user experience.
- Primary interface with PARC business and research organizations to continuously assess and improve service delivery, support state-of-the-art technologies, and mitigate emerging risks.
- Act as lead project manager for Facilities projects ranging from $5K to $10M.
- Safeguard continuity of operations through oversight of security and disaster recovery, leading the response to emergency situations.
- Manage Facilities financial plans, expenditures, and controls.
- Act as primary liaison for Facilities related topics with PARC’s Executive Management Team.
Skills and Qualifications:
- BA/BS degree in engineering or other relevant discipline.
- Experience in operational facilities management, including team management, contractor management, and property management.
- Experience in design and construction project management for relevant scale build-outs.
- Competency in CAD for project planning and facility drawing maintenance.
- Experience in an advanced laboratory environment required, and experience covering clean room operations desired.
- Experience developing and managing operational and capital budgets.
- Experience in sourcing, negotiating, and monitoring support contracts and material purchasing.
- Experience in developing relevant dashboards, metrics, scorecards and benchmarking materials related to facilities management.
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K. PARC also strives for the best possible work-life balance, so employees benefit from maternity, paternity and adoption leave, as well as a variety of flexible working options. PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with PARC should contact PARC Human Resources.