Director of Public Sector Engagement
business and operations | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
The Director of Public Sector Engagement is a new position at PARC responsible for spearheading the refinement and execution of our business development activities with government and other public sector partners.
About the Job
The Director of Public Sector Engagement is a new position at PARC responsible for spearheading the refinement and execution of our business development activities with government and other public sector partners. PARC has historically relied on a distributed public sector business development model, where individual researchers cultivate technical relationships with government program managers that lead to sponsorship opportunities. While we believe that maintaining this technical foundation to our relationships is critical, our goal is develop a hybrid model that augments the researcher interactions with professional engagement resources that can help form relationships with new sponsors, lead us to new types of offerings, and improve the efficiency of securing sponsorship funding across our public sector channel.
The Director of Public Sector Engagement will be the single integrated resource for PARC researchers to help them understand and innovate toward the objectives of potential sponsors, identify potential sponsors for specific emerging technologies, and initiate and support interactions with targeted decision makers that lead to project funding. The role is anticipated to be 50% inward facing for sponsorship strategy development in direct coordination with research leaders, engagement process development and execution, training and mentorship for engagement best practices, specific opportunity and solicitation analysis, and new engagement financial forecasting; and 50% outward facing for PARC strategic positioning, sponsor relationship development, intelligence collection, and direct engagement support for researcher interactions.
The Director of Public Sector Engagement will also have the goal of expanding PARC’s traditional public sector channel through sponsorship from parts of the federal government that PARC does not typically access, from U.S. state and local governments, from foreign governments, and from non-government philanthropic organizations. This may also include new strategic relationships with commercial partners that enhance our ability to jointly secure public sector funding. The individual will be responsible for identifying, assessing, and executing engagements with these entities to develop and position PARC offerings.
The Director of Public Sector Engagement will report directly to the Vice President of Public Sector Operations. The role will involve extensive interactions across PARC research staff, operations staff, and the executive team, but will not involve direct staff supervision until channel growth requires additional supporting staff.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Be the resident expert on public sector organizations, missions, interests, processes, and personnel.
- Perform public sector organization and opportunity intelligence collection, analysis, and distribution to relevant PARC research staff.
- Develop PARC strategic positioning and marketing material for the public sector.
- Foster and maintain relationships with key public sector decision makers aimed at understanding their interests and creating opportunities for PARC funding.
- Provide input to PARC program managers to help align their technology development pipelines with public sector sponsor interests and opportunities.
- Coordinate with PARC program managers to define and execute “Sponsorship Campaigns” designed to support the execution of their technology development pipelines.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive distributed engagement process for PARC researchers to maximize the efficacy of our engagement efforts.
- Develop and manage the process of monitoring, assessing, and distributing solicitations across PARC.
- Provide input into public sector channel revenue forecasts based on evaluation of identified opportunities.
- Drive public sector channel expansion through new sponsors, offerings, and relationships.
- Define, negotiate, and manage strategic partnerships with companies and organizations that enhance our ability to secure public sector funding.
An ideal candidate would have a combination of the following attributes:
- An advanced technical degree or demonstrated capability to grasp complex advanced technology concepts, engage with PhD researchers, and connect innovative new concepts to real-world applications. This position offers an incredible opportunity to engage and influence a broad range of high-impact technologies under development across PARC, and a successful candidate is likely to be someone who thrives while constantly learning about new technical subjects.
- Direct experience working for or with one or more of PARC’s primary public sector sponsors, with particular value placed on familiarity with budgeting and solicitation processes. The broader the candidate’s experience base across the set of traditional and target sponsors, the better.
- An active network of contacts and relationships spanning as many of PARC’s traditional and target sponsors as possible.
- A demonstrated capability to identify and engage new points of contact within public sector entities, resulting in securing of funding or advancement of other business interests.
- Experience architecting, implementing, and managing operations processes with scale and complexity similar to PARC.
- Experience developing and conducting individual and group training.
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K). PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and public sector agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients. Since its inception in 1970, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of entire industries. Incorporated as an independent subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues to work at the frontier of new technologies in energy, digital manufacturing, novel electronics, sensors, biomedical devices, networking, security, analytics, and control systems.
PARC’s business model is driven by investment in exploratory innovation by our world-class research staff, which can then be cultivated into future commercializable technologies. While much of that investment is internally funded from the returns on our prior commercialization successes, partnerships with government agencies and other public sector partners provide a critical resource to amplify our pre-commercial technology development capacity. PARC has a long history of conducting high-impact research for customers such as DARPA, DTRA, ONR, ARL, and AFRL within DOD, ARPA-e and other parts of DOE, IARPA, NSF, NIH, and the California state government. As PARC continues to grow as an independent research center, it is critical that we leverage our successful public sector funding model to prime the pipeline with an expanding volume and diversity of new research activities that will continue to underpin our commercial success.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with Xerox should contact PARC Human Resources.