Director of Business Development
business and operations | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
Sales of research/technology-based services to corporate clients in USA and Europe
This Director of Business Development position is responsible for profitably commercializing PARC's technology and driving commercial sales. This role requires working closely with marketing, research management, scientists, and engineers to understand the research programs, identify promising business opportunities, complete technology service / licensing transactions with industry clients and establish and nurture strategic relationships with senior technical management (CTO, VP of R&D) at Fortune 500 companies. In addition the Director will support the development of associated collateral to assist in the selling process and ensure that sales goals are met.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Closing technology development services and tech transfer deals (Please be prepared to provide deal sheet)
- Formulating and negotiating intellectual property terms as part of the deals
- Meeting or exceeding quarterly sales targets
- Developing and sustaining customer relationships at the most senior levels
- Identifies prospective business partners by analyzing markets, deal requirements, potential, and financials. Evaluates and prioritizes options and proposes business deals by contacting potential partners and discovering and exploring opportunities.
- Develops negotiating strategies and positions by examining risks and potentials as well as estimating partners' needs and goals.
- Toether with PARC licensing staff and legal representative, develops intellectual property terms consistent with PARC's IP strategy that meet client needs .
- Develops multi-level relationships with target customers including top-level decision makers across all functions of a given business. Articulates and positions the full spectrum of PARC products, services, and technologies, ranging from electronic materials and devices to AI and computer vision services, to key departmental decision makers who vary in technical understanding.
- Closes new business deals by coordinating requirements, developing and negotiating contracts and engaging specialists as needed.
- Develop key messaging, sales tools and collateral for products in collaboration with marketing.
- Champion and drive internal processes that ensure commercial success.
- Develop and maintain expert knowledge of specified markets. Update knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks and participating in professional organizations.
- Screens potential business deals by analyzing market strategies, deal requirements, potential, and financials; evaluating options; resolving internal priorities; recommending equity investments.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in business development in electronic materials, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Vision, Machine / Deep Learning, digital services, focused on B2B. Manufacturing or Industry 4.0 experience is a strong plus.
- Deep understanding and experience in licensing intellectual property, in particular patent licensing, from term sheet development through close of deal.
- High-level executive rolodex in relevant industries.
- Demonstrated ability to close deals (be prepared to bring a deal sheet) and meet sales quota
- Experience in writing business plans and/or MRD and PRDs for software products.
- Ability to communicate the business value of the technology to a variety of audiences who vary in technical understanding.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Technical degree with strong business experience. Background and experience in working in or with R&D, along with entrepreuerial activity is a strong plus.
- Background in transactions involving intellectual property licensing.
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K. PARC also strives for the best possible work-life balance, so employees benefit from maternity, paternity and adoption leave, as well as a variety of flexible working options. PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with PARC should contact PARC Human Resources.