Development Operations Manager
software research and engineering | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
M.S. degree with experience in managing critical cross-functional integration projects and Python/Ruby programming
About the Job
Some opportunities are one-of-a kind. Some organizations are one-of-a kind. Some technologies are one-of-a-kind.
We have on offer a newly created opportunity that is all of those things.
PARC is world renowned as a research organization that practices open innovation, provides custom R&D services, technology and IP to internationally the world’s leading institutions and organizations.
We’ve created the infrastructure, tools and platform that our researchers and their partners require to create breakthrough innovations and IP, we’re looking for a Manager who can harness the state-of-the-art infrastructure we’ve built to enable PARC researchers to deliver breakthrough innovations harnessing the Internet of Things (IoT), Big Data, Real-Time Analytics and Cloud to support our agile research and development environment.
We’re looking for a hands-on leader who proactively ensures that our infrastructure surpasses industry standards. Our research environments are rapidly changing and dynamic, and our infrastructure needs to mirror that.
As Manager, Development Operations you’ll drive the development and operational support of our Openstack-based private cloud infrastructure, MY SQL Analytical Service, AMPs labs Spark/Shark and RabbitMQ Messaging service. You’ll step up and resolve any blocking issues that hamper our ability to remain cutting edge and best-of-the-class. You’ll provide expert counsel to our research, technical and leadership teams. Finally, you’ll identify emerging technologies to be assimilated, integrated and employed, and maintain an IT infrastructure that excites and creates value for our staff through continuous improvement and engagement with the IT and technology community.
- Identify and implement improvements to the product and processes around managing the cloud environment and tenant relationships (PARC researchers and worldwide Xerox Researchers)
- Tightly coordinate with PARC IT team for troubleshooting, maintenance, capacity management, and architectural design and deployment of new tools and infrastructure.
- Maintain current hands-on knowledge of the deployment and update process for the cloud environments.
- Take responsibility for the availability and reliability of PARC cloud and big data infrastructure
- Save the company a lot of money on infrastructure costs
- Author tools that reliably manage infrastructure with clean, re-usable code.
- Own our server image configurations, collaborating with core server engineers to optimize for task performance, reliability, failover and scale.
- 7+ years of relevant IT experience, with experience around designing, implementing, and managing critical cross-functional integration projects.
- 1+ years of experience with the virtualization, and image building for OpenStack
- Strong Python/Ruby programming experience
- Understanding of modern IT production data center and Internet (ISP/ASP) hosting operations
- Must be effective in working both independently and in a team setting.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- M.S. degree or equivalent operations/development experience.
- Database administration. MYSQL and MongoDB a plus.
- Message bus architectures. RabbitMQ a plus.
- Working closely with other teams to support and maintain a multi-tier cloud application service
- Understanding of Cloud Computing operating principles, features, and benefits for Service Providers, Enterprise, Small, Medium-size business customers, and educational institutions.
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K). PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (seehttp://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with Xerox should contact PARC Human Resources.