Cyber Physical Systems Security Researcher
software research and engineering | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
Cyber-Physical Systems Security Researcher
(Member of Research Staff)
About the Job
The Cyber-Physical Systems Security (CPSS) area has an opening for a research scientist. Both recent Ph.D. graduates and well-established scientists are encouraged to apply.
The candidate should be familiar with the basics of security technologies, have a strong publication record in research areas related to cyber-physical security, desire to work on problems with real-world impact, and have strong implementation skills to create early-stage prototypes. Prior experience with industrial research, technology transfer and preparing grant proposals is a plus. Candidates with interest in all areas of cyber-physical security will be considered, however, those with experience in one or more of the following areas are of particular interest:
- Distributed systems security
- Configuration management for embedded devices and IoT devices
- System identification and control-theoretic modeling for security diagnostics and prognostics
- Machine learning and modeling to diagnose or predict security issues in cyber-physical systems
- Graph theory and graph analytics in security settings
- Formulating research problems based on real-world needs and independently conducting high-quality research
- Working with existing research and development staff in CPSS and other groups on a broad range of research topics
- Identifying new promising research directions and contributing them to the group’s long-term research agenda
- Leading new research proposals to funding agencies and industry
- Working with business development teams in identifying important business opportunities with industry and government agencies
- PhD degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field; and at least one year of experience as a Software Engineer, Software Engineer Intern, or Research Intern
- Strong publication record in at least one of the following areas: cyber-physical system security, distributed systems security, system configuration management, use of control-theoretic approaches to system security
- Strong system development skills
- Strong mathematical skills; familiarity with optimization theory
- Able to obtain work authorization in the US
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K. PARC also strives for the best possible work-life balance, so employees benefit from maternity, paternity and adoption leave, as well as a variety of flexible working options. PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with PARC should contact PARC Human Resources.