Computational Photonics Intern
internships | Palo Alto, CA | Internship
Computational Photonics intern for the development of tools in the domain of photonic integrated circuits and quantum photonic information sciences
About the Job
Palo Alto Research Center – PARC, a Xerox company located in Palo Alto, CA - is seeking an intern in computational photonics for a joint appointment between its Hardware Systems Laboratory (HSL) and Electronic Materials & Devices Laboratory (EMDL). This position is intended to support PARC scientists that are engaged in theoretical and experimental research in the areas of photonic integrated circuits and quantum-photonic information science, aiming to build and expand upon PARC's world-class expertise in III-Nitride systems, and particularly in UV/blue semiconductor lasers based on these materials.
The main focus of the intern will be the development of computational models for innovative new photonic device and circuit designs, using proprietary as well as suitable open-source codes. The position is expected to be available for a standard 10-week period during 2019, but the timing can be tailored to the needs of a highly qualified candidate in an effort to harmonize the PARC internship with the candidate's graduate school commitments and activities.
Collaborate with HSL and EMDL researchers on the formulation and theoretical exploration of new ideas for photonic integrated circuits as well as for quantum information sensing, storage, transmission, and manipulation schemes;
- Develop numerical simulations using existing PARC-owned codes or by extending open-source codes most suitable for a given avenue of investigation;
- Collaborate with research staff at PARC to validate numerical model predictions against experimental results.
- Currently pursuing a MS or PhD degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering, or a related field;
- Successfully completed beginning-graduate level coursework in classical electrodynamics, condensed-matter physics, and quantum & nonlinear optics;
- Engaged in or looking for a thesis research topic in a related area;
- Proficient in general-purpose computational platforms such as Mathematica, Octave, Matlab, and their optics-related toolboxes;
- Proficient in popular open-source code development platforms such as Python, SageMath;
- Proficient in commercial numerical EM modeling/simulation codes such as CST Microwave Studio, COMSOL Multiphysics, or similar tools;
- References that can corroborate positive attitude, strong work ethic, and good communication skills.
- Experience with dedicated photonics modeling software such as the Optiwave or RSoft suites, or Lumerical;
- Experience with open-source optics codes such as Meep, MPB, or CAMFR;
- Familiarity with semiconductor optoelectronic device fabrication techniques;
- Proven track record of scientific investigation as demonstrated by project reports, conference presentations, journal papers.
(intern benefits include 401K, Relocation and Holidays)
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with PARC should contact PARC Human Resources.