business and operations | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
CNS Team Manager
About the Job
The PARC Computer and Network Services (CNS) team has dual roles to reliably deliver core IT services, while partnering with our research staff to support research and development of IT related technologies. These research activities have spanned areas such as fundamental networking protocols, data and video analytics, autonomous systems, human-computer collaboration, cyber-physical security of industrial devices, and IoT sensor networks.
PARC is currently conducting a strategic review of our IT infrastructure to ensure the continued delivery of services for each of these roles, while incorporating current technological and operational best practices. Our goal is to improve services levels for our users, improve operational efficiency for our CNS team, and establish a more flexible and adaptive IT model to carry us into the future.
We are seeking a CNS team manager with the skills and experience to lead us through the transition to this new IT architecture and beyond. The position, reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, will have complete responsibility for CNS strategy, operations, and personnel management of a team of 11 direct reports.
Through requirements analysis, option exploration, business case analysis, infrastructure deployment, and ongoing operations, the CNS Manager will provide the technical leadership, project management, and execution skills needed to enable our research and business objectives. Immediate focus will be on implementing the IT Strategic Review, including prioritizing infrastructure and support resource investments, as well as establishing Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to aid in monitoring and managing the delivery of services through the period of infrastructure transition.
The candidate we are seeking will have broad technical experience in state-of-the-art wired and wireless network management, on-premise and cloud compute services, and frontline user support. In addition to these core IT skills, demonstrated ability to interact with advanced IT research activities will be strongly valued.
Beyond technical credibility, excellent interpersonal skills will also be required. While true for any successful team manager, these skills are especially important at PARC due to the need to foster the professional development of the support team to align to the roles and skillsets required by the target architecture, as well as the continuous requirement to interact with research and business leaders in order to assess and support constantly evolving user needs as we explore new research frontiers.
This is a great opportunity for either a proven IT manager who is looking for the more dynamic set of strategic and operational challenges that PARC represents, or an IT expert who is ready to step into a management role to lead a team of their own.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead PARC through the strategic review, technology selection, implementation, and management phases of re-engineering PARC IT infrastructure.
- Manage day-to-day CNS operations, including core service delivery, frontline support, and development projects. Develop and set operational procedures and policies.
- Provide technical leadership to identify, assess, and coordinate complex cross-cutting technical activities. Roll-up sleeves and jump in where necessary.
- Operate in a continuous improvement model, using KPIs to measure, monitor, and guide service delivery.
- Direct management of the CNS team, including setting and managing goals, setting and guiding professional development plans, and ensuring alignment of roles and capabilities to support evolving service models.
- Management of third-party service providers to ensure efficient coordination with PARC's CNS team, and seamless integration into the PARC end-user experience.
- Primary interface with PARC business and research organizations to continuously assess and improve service delivery, integrate state-of-the-art technologies, and mitigate emerging risks.
- Safeguard business critical information through oversight of security, disaster recovery, and threat response. Ensure compliance with IT related provisions of PARC contracts and prevailing law.
- Manage CNS financial plans, expenditures, and controls.
Skills and Qualifications:
- BS/MS in Computer Science, MIS, or similar field.
- Breadth of technical and management knowledge – system administration and frontline support, on-premise and cloud services, familiarity with heterogeneous hardware and operating systems, etc.
- Current on state-of-the-art cloud management best-practices.
- Proven record as an IT manager overseeing team members across the spectrum of experience, or relevant experience demonstrating readiness to step into the manager role.
- Experience in developing and maintaining KPI's to manage the effectiveness of IT services in a continuous improvement model.
- Experience conducting IT strategic analysis and implementation, including optimizing cloud-based service integration will be highly valued.
- Experience successfully operating in a research culture will be highly valued.
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K. PARC also strives for the best possible work-life balance, so employees benefit from maternity, paternity and adoption leave, as well as a variety of flexible working options. PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with PARC should contact PARC Human Resources.