Chief Intellectual Property Officer
business and operations | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
BS in technical field plus MBA or JD to lead IP group and devise IP strategy and policy.
About the Job
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, the company provides custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. PARC creates new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for their clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the physical, computer, and social sciences research that enables breakthroughs for clients' businesses.
PARC is looking for a dynamic, intellectually curious, and hands-on IP strategist who can manage PARC’s vast IP portfolio, creating innovative new streams of revenue from commercialization of the company’s IP assets.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Global Business Operations, Mike Steep, the Chief Intellectual Property Officer (CIPO) is responsible for driving all aspects of PARC’s strategic creation, management, and commercialization of high-value innovations and IP assets. S/he is expected to optimize the value of PARC’s IP portfolio and maximize return on the company’s innovation investment. S/he is chartered with the direction of all aspects of PARC’s operations that touch innovation assets including: selecting research investments, the strategic management of innovation assets, and effective commercialization of those assets. S/he will manage these innovations as a portfolio of unique corporate assets, optimizing between the investment, risk, and returns attendant to their commercial use, monetization, and legal options. As IPO at PARC, this executive will also focus on developing advantaged technology positions that capture or create market positions. Based in Palo Alto, California, the CIPO will lead a team of four.
- Lead a team of four sophisticated IP professionals, responsible for deriving significant sustainable income and year-to-year income growth from PARC’s IP portfolio.
- Manage PARC’s roughly 2,000 patents and 200+ patent filings accomplished every year, as well as navigate preexisting agreements with Xerox regarding patent management.
- Devise and supervise a strategy to balance the IP Portfolio to reflect PARC’s emerging business model of commercialization through multiple channels.
- Capitalize on PARC’s three major areas of business generation—Government (DARPA), Commercial, and Xerox Client Business—to generate additional value and revenue streams.
- Consult with senior business executives and engineers to identify and nurture income generating activities, develop compelling business cases, and engage target companies/markets.
- Work on a regular basis with PARC’s business leaders and R&D to understand company objectives and align the strategic use of IP to further those goals.
- Manage PARC’s broad IP portfolio by stressing teamwork and collaboration across the organization.
- Formulate and implement global IP policies and strategies.
- Supervise and, when necessary, participate in the performance of IP-related due diligence activities in connection with M&A transactions.
- Oversee PARC’s outbound licensing of IP and both monitor and improve the quality of IP transactions (e.g., legal and business terms, risk, and valuation).
- A Bachelor’s of Science in a technical field is required. An advanced degree, such as an MBA or JD, is preferred.
- 15+ years bringing significant innovations to the market and experience with an IP business model, including the acquisition, licensing, and monetization of patent portfolios.
- Demonstrated track record of superb negotiation skills.
- Advanced communication skills (verbal and written); poised and confident with the ability to interact with a wide variety of senior executives, clients, business partners, competitors and others.
- Aptitude and knowledge to make complex technology decisions and an established track record leading a highly technical IP business.
- Deep technical credibility in at least one part of the high-tech ecosystem and the intellect necessary to develop a firm grasp of the myriad technological innovations comprising PARC’s varied IP portfolio.
- An innate curiosity, thirst for knowledge, and drive for continuous personal improvement; This will be an individual who is both exceptionally bright and also energized by the new and unknown.
- Skill at managing relationships in a complex business ecosystem in which the same company may be a competitor, customer or partner, depending on the situation. Able to influence downstream industry trends and standards in one’s company’s favor.
- Strategic acumen to dispassionately assess and resolutely choose among strategic options. Demonstrated ability to “change the game,” unlocking the value of core competencies and outmaneuvering formidable competitors.
- Results-driven leader with proven ability to take and manage risk.
- Advanced leadership skills, including working with cross-functional teams, establishing performance expectations and developing employees.
- Will lead by example and exhibit the utmost personal integrity
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K). PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with Xerox should contact PARC Human Resources.