Chemical Process Modeling Engineer
IoT New Venture | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
PARC is incubating a new software venture in the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) space, based on industry-leading technology developed at PARC. Building on a world-class group of scientists and engineers with decades of experience in system health monitoring, the new venture has ambitions to redefine how industrial equipment is managed.
We are looking for an experienced Chemical Process Modeling Engineer to join the new venture. Reporting to the Chief Science Officer, the Modeling Engineer will be responsible for developing mathematical models of chemical processes for real-time parameter estimation and process optimization. The Modeling Engineer will also be responsible for developing physics-based models of assets commonly used in chemical processing for the purposes of anomaly detection, diagnostics, or prognostics of asset or process failure. In this role, the Modeling Engineer is expected to interact with clients in the chemical industry to understand their operational issues, to formulate potential solutions to these issues, to implement novel tools to address client concerns, and to oversee deployment and commissioning of these solutions at process plants.
A secondary responsibility of the Scientist is to design, develop, and implement various chemical process testbeds to aid in the development of asset maintenance strategies.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Development of mathematical models for common chemical production processes;
- Design, development, and validation of methods for real-time prediction of process variables;
- Development of instrumentation for state estimation, diagnostics, and prognostics for chemical production operations;
- Design, development, and analysis of process systems and technology for improving efficiencies on existing systems or new processes;
- Work in close collaboration with the software and hardware engineering teams, ensuring that chemical production process algorithms are appropriately deployed in production environment
- Collaboration with a diverse set of individuals including modeling scientists, data scientists, software and hardware engineers, sales engineers, chemical plant operators, and chemical industry executives;
- Development of process optimization algorithms for chemical processes;
- Adherence with PARC and client regulations, policies and standards including workplace safety regulations.
- Graduate degree (PhD preferred) in Chemical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or Computer Science from a recognized university;
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical or Industrial Engineering, or equivalent formal training in chemical processing;
- 5+ years of experience working as a Process Engineer designing, developing, and troubleshooting chemical processes;
- At least 3 years of professional experience including:
- Process control algorithm development;
- Process instrumentation.
Desired personal skills include:
- Self-starter who routinely takes independent initiatives to the team’s benefit;
- Intellectual curiosity, as evidenced by a demonstrated ability and willingness to learn new technologies;
- Desire to be “hands on” and create usable solutions to real-world problems;
- Ability to operate effectively under time and resource constraints;
- Strong problem-solving and independent decision-making skills;
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously;
- Strong oral and written communication skills as evidence by the research output of a graduate-level scholar.
The primary job location is Palo Alto, CA. Please note that the position will require occasional travel (up to 20%), mostly within North America. Remote work (including East Coast or Midwest locations as well as Ontario, Canada) is negotiable for experienced candidates with demonstrated skills in managing complex projects without direct supervision.
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K. PARC also strives for the best possible work-life balance, so employees benefit from maternity, paternity and adoption leave, as well as a variety of flexible working options. PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with PARC should contact PARC Human Resources.