Area Manager - Energy Device Fabrication Technologies
Hardware Research and Engineering | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
Ph.D. or equivalent experience in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science or Mechanical Engineering.
About the Job
This Area Manager will be responsible for leading a team of researchers focused on commercially viable energy device manufacturing technologies. The successful candidate will work closely with other groups and projects at PARC, including those focused on PV, batteries, metamaterials, piezoelectrics, fuel cells, advanced cooling, superconductors and water treatment; and will lead the innovation and development of new fabrication technologies in these portfolio areas. These fabrication technologies might include co-extrusion printing, screen printing, inkjet printing, MEMS-based stylus writing and others to be invented.
The PARC Area Manager fills a unique role, and must have a proven track record of research leadership, including the successful attainment of external funding, government and/or commercial. Also required is the ability and successful track record of communicating and inspiring colleagues and senior leaders to enlist support for his/her research vision and agenda.
Location: Palo Alto, CA.
May have to travel 10-20%.
- Evolve the vision and agenda for research in Energy Device Fabrication Technologies, including extensions of co-extrusion printing to other electrochemical devices, as well as new types of printing for roll-to-roll fabrication of energy devices.
- Identify relevant government and commercial organizations and successfully obtain near and long term funding commitments for a commercially viable technology research agenda.
- Leverage established network of contacts within government and commercial organizations; expand and strengthen network over time.
- Leverage knowledge of external manufacturing infrastructure to quickly move projects to commercial outcomes
- Coordinate proposal activities and work with team members to help ensure high caliber offerings to government and commercial customers.
- Lead a team of researchers to successfully develop Energy Device Fabrication Technologies.
- Effectively deliver over time a range of new clean energy technologies to commercial and government markets.
- Guide the strategy for your team, from initiation of technological concepts to prototype development to commercialization.
- Drive high impact visions of the future of energy, to ensure that your team conducts research leading to visible product outcomes and impacts in the world, and an ongoing revenue stream from IP licensing.
- Be the champion for the vision of your group’s activities, and have responsibility for the overall financial performance of your team and technologies.
- Mentor and develop the 5-10 employees in your group toward leadership opportunities, including principal investigator and/or management roles.
- Ensure that projects being run by members of your group are meeting milestones and are on time and budget
- Participate in all aspects of employee performance evaluation and compensation
- Driven and visionary.
- Extroverted either by nature or self-development; enjoys engaging others to influence decisions and direction and to sell ones ideas and vision.
- Ability to inspire others to come on board and support with his/her vision, ideas and projects.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with all levels of management, business development, researchers, and clients.
- High degree of organization, problem recognition, and dispute resolution.
- Experience in writing and executing on business plans and/or MRDs and PRDs for products.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present with impact.
- Demonstrated teamwork and relationship-building skills on site and remotely.
- Solid planning, organizational and problem solving ability.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously under tight deadlines.
- Capacity to build strong interpersonal relationships.
- Flexible, organized, self-motivated and autonomous.
Education: Ph.D. or equivalent experience in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science or Mechanical Engineering.
Experience: Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible leadership roles with a focus in energy devices, manufacturing process tools and/or printing.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with Xerox should contact PARC Human Resources.
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K). PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).