Applied Electromagnetics Researcher
hardware research and engineering | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
Applied Electromagnetics Researcher (Wireless Communications)
Seeking a candidate with a Ph.D. in electrical engineering, robotics, or telecommunications, with a focus in mm-wave wireless communications to primarily design and solve very complex problems in Microwave/RF integrated circuits, automotive radar, IoT devices, Chipless RFIDs, and 4G MU LTE/5G networks.
(Please note that U.S. Citizenship or Green card (U.S. permanent residency) is required, and non-negotiable, to work on export-controlled technologies. i.e., ITAR, EAR)
About PARC and the Metamaterial Devices & Applications R&D area/team:
PARC is an applied R&D powerhouse with a world-class team of experts, a long-standing culture of innovation, and unprecedented resources for applied research. This strong value proposition uniquely positions PARC to bring to market exciting and disruptive metamaterials technology platforms across multiple market segments from consumer electronics, energy, healthcare, to the defense sector. For the past 4 years, the team has been developing exciting and impactful metamaterial technologies for Global Fortune 500 companies and the U.S. Government. An overview of the portfolio of technologies developed by the team can be found at: http://www.parc.com/metamaterials/
In addition, the team is constantly coming up with new innovations that form the foundation of upcoming high risk, high payoff projects. This year, as a validation of our commitment to commercializing technologies, the metamaterial R&D area created a spinoff, called “Metawave”, to accelerate the development of PARC’s M-FAST technology for autonomous driving and mobile communications.
The metamaterials team at PARC is a small and highly-coordinated team that moves quickly. We’re entrepreneurs, builders and innovators. On a day-to-day basis, we evaluate ideas, brainstorm collectively, build devices, fix things that are broken, invent new technology, and work on things that matter. We never get bored. Our customers come to us with very hard problems, and rely on us to build things the right way. When we’re given seemingly unsurmountable challenges, we take the bull by the horns, and do whatever it takes to deliver--- with the freedom to approach, own, and solve problems creatively.
The Hardware Systems Lab (HSL) has an immediate need for a researcher, possessing a cross-pollination between applied electromagnetics and circuit theory, and having a strong intellectual horsepower. While the R&D business can be extremely satisfying and rewarding, it is tough, and it is not for everyone. Thus, we hire talents possessing breadth and depth, as well as an "entrepreneurial scientist" – i.e., people with that rare combination of a passion for deep research, a pioneering spirit, and the business savvy of an entrepreneur.
- Ph.D. in electrical engineering, robotics, or telecommunications, with a focus in wireless communications, with 0-5 years of experience post-graduation
- RF and millimeter-wave integrated circuits design, fabrication, and testing experience
- Experience designing antennas, electronically-steered arrays/ phased array antennas
- Familiarity with the performance characteristics of passive and active RF /mm-wave components including amplifiers, oscillators, attenuators, mixers and filters.
- Expert at using EM commercial solvers such as CST Studio Suite, HFSS, FEKO, Antennas Magus, NI AWR, etc.
- Hands-on experience carrying experiments in RF anechoic chamber, and using RF test & measurement equipment such as vector network analyzer (VNA), signal and spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, Bit Error Ratio Test (BERT), signal generators, etc.
- Strong academic/industrial achievement as demonstrated by publications and/or patents
- Passion for entrepreneurship and commercialization of new technologies
- Strong communication, teamwork, and leadership skills
Strongly Desirable Qualifications:
- Analog and low-power circuit design
- Excellent programming skills, especially in C/C++, MATLAB, and any scripting languages such as Python, Perl, LabVIEW, Lua, etc.
- Knowledge on coding for embedded systems such as microprocessors and FPGAs
- Familiar with FEM, FDTD, RCWA, etc. theory, and computational electromagnetics techniques
- Familiar with numerical optimization methods like genetic algorithm, particle swarm optimization, etc.
- Additional experience in the development of RF metamaterials
- Possess artistic eye and eye for UX design
- Demonstrated track record of architecting wireless solutions or wireless communications systems (e.g., RF energy harvesting, IoT, biomedical, etc.)
- Having some kind of “superpower” that sets the candidate apart from the crowd
Desired Interpersonal Skills:
- Candidate must be driven to work in this fast-paced R&D environment
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously under tight deadlines
- Solid planning and time management skills
- Flexible, organized, highly self-motivated and capable of developing, leading, and executing his/her own experimental plan
The candidate is expected to solve complex problems and progressively become the technical lead for automotive radar, 5G networks, IoT devices, Chipless RFID, micro-Doppler sensors, and other RF/mm-wave projects at PARC. We also expect the candidate to develop his/her own strategic research agenda.
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K. PARC also strives for the best possible work-life balance, so employees benefit from maternity, paternity and adoption leave, as well as a variety of flexible working options. PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with PARC should contact PARC Human Resources.