Advanced Manufacturing and Deposition Systems Intern
internships | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
Intern to develop and assist with the development of innovative manufacturing platforms.
About the Job
PARC is interested in interns looking to work on the next generation of manufacturing systems. The Advanced Manufacturing and Deposition Systems group in the Hardware Systems Laboratory focuses on a scalable technology to make better performing products that are cost effective and industrially relevant. As part of our work we focus on novel spray technology for drug delivery, coatings, particle creation, and additive manufacturing, means of films structuring to produce innovative thermoplastic films and battery electrodes, and next generation additive manufacturing platforms to create objects with otherwise unobtainable mechanical properties. We are seeking interns to join our group to focus on mechanical design, process optimization, and produce development of these processes.
· Designing small experimental platforms to do initial proof of concept demonstrations
· Operating complex manufacturing platforms to optimize processing conditions
· Doing theoretical analysis of new applications
· Preparing material formulations and characterizing basic rheology of materials
· Selecting polymers and determining ideal processing conditions
· Optimizing process parameters, including electrostatic, laser, and extrusion based systems
· Characterizing produced parts and creating artifacts
· Working towards a BS, MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or a related field
· Expertise in manufacturing systems, additive manufacturing, film processing, or battery manufacturing
· Basic familiarity with common metrology such as microscopy and tensile testing
· Attention to detail and ability to plan and execute on experimental plans
· Ability to think outside the box and create compelling industrial demonstrations
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K. PARC also strives for the best possible work-life balance, so employees benefit from maternity, paternity and adoption leave, as well as a variety of flexible working options. PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/). (intern benefits include 401K, Relocation and Holidays)
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with PARC should contact PARC Human Resources.