Software Developer Intern
Product Development | Portland, OR
Software Developer Intern
We are expanding our OpenSesame Engineering Internship Program and we are looking for a few good people to join our next session to help us rock the boat in the elearning industry. We have a great team, in an open office, and offer a friendly place to work. We enjoy the freedom to innovate with a variety of technologies in an exciting start-up environment. Working in our Extreme Programming / Agile software development team, you will utilize test driven development, paired programming, and a host of other practices to develop a game changing application for the elearning industry.
If you are a self-starter with an inquisitive mind and track record for delivering excellent results that thrill your customers and teammates, then we may have an opportunity for you... however, we are unusually selective about who we ask to join our team.
OpenSesame Engineering Internship Program - Overview
Our program consists of a 3 month internship embedded with our engineering team. We plan on offering a rolling 3 month program, throughout the year. As an intern at OpenSesame, there is no running for coffee or making photocopies... you will have countless opportunities to provide value to the company and help grow our product. In addition to providing value, we will strive to do so in return by giving you every opportunity to advance your skills & experience, offer mentorships, and strengthen your portfolio of work.
Our intern program includes:
- Individual & team goals (both personal and professional)
- Individual & team projects
- Knowledge sharing (programming languages, tools, team practices, etc.)
- Mentor program
- Participation in all team meetings & events
- Daily pairing with other interns and our software engineers
- Weekly schedule & requirements to ensure you get the most out of your 12 weeks
As an intern, you will be expected to jump right in, start learning our system, write code, and get stuff done! We feel strongly about growing the next generation of engineers. We believe having a strong intern program makes us a stronger team (at OpenSesame), industry (as a part of elearning and software, in general), and community (PDX tech startups) by having them. Learn more about the OpenSesame Intern Program.
- Set personal goals for your 3 month internship & work to accomplish them
- Creating & writing test, to constantly increase and improve test coverage of our platform
- Industry research and implementation of strategies for processing and manipulating elearning Content
- Daily meetings & updates with the Engineering Team, Weekly meeting & update with the full OpenSesame Team
- Individual development project (working with a project mentor) - TBD at the beginning of internship
- Intern team project (collaborative with your intern peers & a project mentor) - TBD at the beginning of internship
We do not hire based on specific buzzwords, technologies, or popular acronyms on your resume. Today we use C#, Visual Studio, PHP, MySQL, Drupal, Puppet, and CruiseControl. Tomorrow we may use something else. Whatever technologies, languages, or software programs you have learned, we expect you have mastered them in depth. In addition, we expect you to master new technologies that may be brought on board in the future.
- Your friends and co-workers describe you as a programming genius and fantastic team player
- Highly adaptable
- Possess a people oriented, friendly can do attitude
- You love the XP Concepts: Paired Programming, Test Driven Development, etc.
- You are an imaginative thinker with the ability to work independently on simultaneous projects and the ability to collaborate effectively with other team members
- Your programming ability is way above average as demonstrated by a continuous string of successful projects and completion of at least one programming course or mastery of one language
- You have a strong desire to constantly develop new skills
- Permanent legal right to work within the United States
- Ability to work at least 20 hours per week. Ideally 30-40.
- Preference given to those who can work during the school year as well (less hours of course)
Perks: This is a PAID internship
If this description sounds like an opportunity that you could get excited about, please apply!