National Account Executive
Distribution & Access | Field Based - Boston | Full Time
Oncopeptides is a pharmaceutical company focused on the development of targeted therapies
for difficult-to-treat hematological cancers. The company is focusing on the development of the
lead product candidate melflufen, a novel peptide-drug conjugate that rapidly delivers a cytotoxic payload into tumor cells. Melflufen is in development as a new treatment for the hematological cancer multiple myeloma and is currently being tested in multiple clinical studies including the pivotal phase 2 HORIZON study and the ongoing phase 3 OCEAN study. Oncopeptides’ US headquarters is based in Waltham, MA with an office in Mountain View, CA, and global headquarters is in Stockholm, Sweden. The company is listed in the Mid Cap segment on Nasdaq Stockholm with the ticker ONCO.
The company is in a strong financial position and has an effective Executive Team and Board of Directors. Discover more about Oncopeptides at www.oncopeptides.com
We are looking for a National Account Executive who will report to the Director, National Accounts. This position will manage account relationships with key decision-makers across Commercial, Medicare, and Medicaid payer segments that optimizes appropriate coverage and patient access to Oncopeptides portfolio of products. This includes development and implementation of compliant and effective strategic and tactical plans for assigned accounts.
This is a field-based position (Northeast) with travel to corporate offices.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Responsible for National and Regional payers within geography, as well as Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs), State Medicaid Agencies, Medicaid PBMs, VA/DOD, and various other target accounts as defined by Oncopeptide’s leadership
● Develop, maintain, and execute strategic account business plans for optimum product positioning and access within each assigned payer account
● Establish and maintain positive business relationships with payer account Key Decision Makers and/or Influencers to ensure appropriate coverage, coding, reimbursement, and access.
● Review and analyze product performance via our specialty pharmacy partners as it relates to assigned payer accounts
● Support the launch planning process for Oncopeptide products within assigned payer accounts
● Compliantly engage with Medical in the development, coordination, and delivering of clinical presentations and value propositions with the goal of appropriate access within payer accounts.
● Educate Sales, Marketing, and other key internal stakeholders, as appropriate, on assigned payer account coverage policies
● Proactively identify potential marketplace trends/barriers within targeted accounts as well as overall payer landscape and reactively respond to any identified reimbursement, coverage issues, and market access challenges
● Effectively communicate and coordinate with Regional Sales teams on pull-through activities for assigned payer accounts
● Work closely with the Patient Services team to support the patient journey
● Support Sales, Marketing, and key internal functions by providing expert consultation on payer specifics business issues.
● Assist in providing insight into the development of patient access and reimbursement marketing support materials
● Ensure Reimbursement team has the required knowledge and first-in-class as it pertains to patient access and reimbursement
● Ensure direct reports have the knowledge to differentiate themselves from sales as reimbursement experts through effective on-going training coordinated with Oncopeptides training team
● Develop and provide concise career development programs to ensure field team has appropriate guidance and direction to execute and achieve their professional goals. This development program should form the basis for future career opportunities within the Oncopeptides Commercial Organization
● Ensure that all teams are trained to fully support all access and patient/payer support programs offered by the HUB and that customers see the Oncopeptides programs as the best in the industry
● Ensure alignment and high proactive levels of communication and collaboration with all account resources
● Establish strong internal relationships and provide on-going clear communication to ensure clarity of access positions and support pull-through efforts.
● Develop, execute, and manage annual budget with allocation for team members that effectively achieves desired goals and are balanced with the financial objectives of the broader commercial organization
● Strong work ethic and the ability to foster a culture of collaboration, continuous improvement, and operational excellence
● Strong strategic account management skills with extensive experience in tactical planning and execution with a proven track record of success
● Operate in full compliance to all applicable laws/regulations and comply with company policies and procedures
- Up to 75% domestic travel required
Experience, Education, Training, Traits:
● Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Business, Marketing, or related technical field from an accredited college/university.
● 10 years of biotech/pharma experience, oncology experience preferred.
● A minimum of 3-5 years within market access; National or Regional Account Management experience is a plus.
● Recent Buy and Bill product launch experience and successfully overcoming access barriers (unlisted C/J code, no coverage policy at launch, etc.)
● Expertise in HCPCS, CPT, and ICD-10-CM coding and medical benefit product policy and reimbursement
● Proven teamwork and collaboration skills with a demonstrated track record leading highly matrixed, cross-functional work teams comprised of high-level managers and executives.
● Analyzes and uses qualitative and quantitative data and incorporates understanding into decision criteria.
● Strong background and knowledge of market access including account management
● In-depth knowledge of Managed Care, Government, and Federal payer sectors
● Understanding CMS requirements and process for product coverage
● Complete understanding of the current payer marketplace and its impact on regional sales territories
● Ability to develop and maximize relationships with multiple levels across the organization and the collaboration
● Ability to rapidly assimilate information and a fast-paced environment
● Ability to multi-task among several high value tasks within Oncopeptides when necessary and manage to timelines
● Ability to clearly articulate the value proposition of Oncopeptides products
● Ability to effectively manage competing priorities with strong sense of urgency.
● Ability to act as an articulate advocate for the Commercial organization.
● Ability to excel in start-up, small company environment
● Creative thinker - able to identify, develop, and execute sound strategies.
● Competent with PowerPoint, excel, word, etc.
● Proven ability to work independently, adhere to specific timelines, deliver on all administrative requirements, and execute on business plan initiatives.
● Excellent communication, written, and verbal skills.