Head of Market Access & Distribution
Commercial | Waltham, MA | Full Time
Oncopeptides is a pharmaceutical company focused on the development of targeted therapies for difficult-to-treat hematological cancers. The company is focusing on the development of the lead product candidate melflufen, a novel peptide-drug conjugate that rapidly delivers a cytotoxic payload into tumor cells. Melflufen is in development as a new treatment for the hematological cancer multiple myeloma and is currently being tested in multiple clinical studies including the pivotal phase 2 HORIZON study and the ongoing phase 3 OCEAN study. Oncopeptides’ US headquarters is based in Waltham, MA with an office in Mountain View, CA, and global headquarters is in Stockholm, Sweden. The company is listed in the Mid Cap segment on Nasdaq Stockholm with the ticker ONCO.
The company is in a strong financial position and has an effective Executive Team and Board of Directors. Discover more about Oncopeptides at www.oncopeptides.com
Position: Head of Market Access & Distribution
The Head of Market Access & Distribution will report to the SVP, North America Commercial, and will be a key member of the core project teams responsible for planning and commercializing Oncopeptides’ first therapy, melflufen, in the US. The role will be responsible for providing strategy and direction for all product distribution mechanisms, provider reimbursement activities, and setting and realizing the payer access goals. The Head of Access also must ensure effective business analytics and systems are developed to allow delivery of strategic insights through the product launch. The Head of Access will drive the payer, provider and patient reimbursement launch planning initiatives, and is responsible for the development, implementation and ongoing assessment of all product and market strategies to secure and maintain optimal market access by collaborating with key stakeholders in the US, while ensuring endorsement from global headquarters. Furthermore, the Head of Access must assist with the assessment of new product expansion indications to ensure revenue maximization.
The position will collaborate closely with cross-functional leaders, including Marketing, Sales, Legal/Compliance, Medical Affairs, Human Resources, Regulatory, and Manufacturing. Success will require the individual to have relevant hematology/oncology launch experience and develop strong cross-functional relationships to effectively influence decision-making across the organization, both in the US and at global HQ.
This position is based in Mountain View, CA or Waltham, MA.
Domestic and international travel up to 20%.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Build Oncopeptides’ US commercial Market Access (MA) function, including the establishment of individual roles and teams, and all processes, systems and tools required to successfully procure, distribute and enable product access.
· Hire a MA team that will be able to collaborate effectively with internal key stakeholders (i.e. Medical Affairs, HEOR, Marketing and Finance).
· Contribute as an active member of the US Oncopeptides Commercial Leadership Team
· Oversee relationships with insurance/managed care organizations and integrated delivery networks, leading contracting and price negotiations
· Establish, manage and execute a business plan and budget for the Market Access group, reflecting clear alignment with the Commercial organization’s goals and objectives.
· Effectively manage external vendor/partner relationships to ensure high quality services, the utmost compliance with Oncopeptides’ and industry policies, practices and regulations.
· Support Global Supply Chain roadmap development and maintenance for systems, data, reporting, process optimization, and related change management activities.
· Lead the strategic and tactical development of distribution as well as contracting, implementation, and operational management of external partnerships. This includes ensuring a high level of collaboration and integration with the Brand Teams, Finance, Legal and Manufacturing teams is maintained
· Direct and implement distribution channel strategy improvements that increase service levels to customers and patients; analyze program data and market dynamics and recommend programs to improve the overall platform for all customers
· Design and set strategy for the MA function to include pricing, contracting, reimbursement, value proposition and messaging, payer & channel management and distribution, patient support services, and field reimbursement support that is reflective of a proactive competitive edge.
· Develop appropriate programs, tools and communication materials to effectively address payers’ needs to render informed coverage decisions, as well as overall approach to therapeutic class management.
· Recommend and manage various market access research initiatives, collect and integrate payer/market insights to inform brand strategy; specifically, reimbursement trends and competitive landscape.
· Establish key metrics for trade partners and hold partners accountable to service level standards while fostering strong partnerships
· Review and analyze contracted partner performance and communicate account performance broadly with key internal stakeholders
· B.S. Degree or higher, preferably in Life Sciences, advanced degree preferred
· Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry experience required with at least 10+ years of experience with a proven track record in Market Access, Pricing and/or HEOR. Strong leadership abilities to develop and lead high performing teams and individuals
· Strong understanding of US market access environment; product launch experience from market access perspective (global experience is a plus)
· Experience in building distribution networks and in the development of Distribution Strategy to support a product launch required
· Ability to review clinical and health economic literature, including disease state information, clinical trial design and results, and economic studies in order to understand the implications for value to payers
· Excellent analytical skills and solid understanding of major market reimbursement systems, current health policy topics and working knowledge of health economics
· Knowledge of and working experience with pricing and research methodologies
· Deep understanding and compliance with the OIG and FDA regulations governing pharmaceutical marketing and the PhRMA code
· In-depth understanding and first-hand experience of strategically overseeing US Market Access requirements, policies and regulations, and developing, then executing on strategic plans with a successful track record
· Deep understanding of performance and operational indicators for Specialty Pharmacy Provider, Specialty Distributor and HUB functions
· Ability to communicate effectively and with influence; having a persuasive and credible presentation style at all levels of the organization