Associate Scientist - Cell Culture
Icagen Ion Channel Biology | Durham, NC | Full Time
Icagen’s facility in Durham, North Carolina currently has an opening for a talented Associate Scientist to join our Biology team. This is a full-time, laboratory-based position offering an opportunity to play key roles in identifying novel drug candidates and advancing drug development projects. The ideal candidate will have experience in a broad set of cellular and molecular biology techniques with a fundamental understanding of molecular biology. The successful candidate will be capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously while working as part of a core team. The work will be fast-paced and process-oriented in a dynamic environment which is predicated upon continuous improvement where everyone is encouraged to contribute to improving laboratory efficiency.
Icagen, part of the Ligand family of companies, is a biopharmaceutical company that partners with the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry on drug discovery programs primarily focused on ion channel and membrane transporter targets.
Ligand is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing or acquiring technologies that help pharmaceutical companies discover and develop medicines. We have contributed novel research and technologies for approved medicines that treat cancer, osteoporosis, fungal infections and postpartum depression, among others. Ligand’s previously announced spin-off of OmniAb, Inc. and merger (Business Combination) with Avista Public Acquisition Corp. II, a publicly traded special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2022.
The OmniAb group consists of dynamic and innovative scientists that employ a variety of novel platforms to support our partners in discovering the best antibodies possible for their therapeutic applications. At the core of OmniAb is the ability to engineer animals to generate affinity matured human sequence antibodies for use in conventional and novel therapeutic formats. We leverage our proprietary animals with state-of-the-art technology in antigen design, immunization methods and high-throughput single B cell screening to facilitate discovery of best-in-class antibodies. We are looking for accomplished team players who are enthusiastic to contribute to the technological frontier of antibody discovery, contribute to improving human health, and passionate in their desire to collaborate with partners to develop next generation therapeutics. See OmniAb.com for more details about the exciting science being performed at OmniAb.
- Maintain 10-15 mammalian cell culture lines using aseptic technique (cell harvesting, counting, seeding for functional testing, and cell cryopreservation).
- Responsible for cell culture maintenance, reagent preparation, cell plating for use in assays, culture expansion, cryopreservation, cell line generation and membrane preparation.
- Comfortable with the flexible nature of a data driven environment; proactive communication style and exceptional organizational skills, and able to multitask effectively.
- Integral member of the in vitro pharmacology team supporting multiple target screening and leading drug candidate optimization projects.
- Will also be expected to contribute to laboratory support duties that are associated with operating a productive pharmaceutical industry research group.
- Requires BS in biology or cellular/molecular biology and 0-2 years of relevant experience in a research or drug discovery laboratory environment.
- Computer and data processing skills (Microsoft Office, SnapGene, etc.).
- Hands-on experience with aseptic techniques related to mammalian cell culture (experience with Cho and Hek293 base cells lines).
- Strong ability to multi-task and willingness to work effectively across teams in a highly collaborative and diverse environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and record keeping skills (with strong attention to detail).
- Preferred experience with molecular biology techniques including RNA/DNA isolation and restriction digestion, agarose gel electrophoresis, RT-PCR, qPCR, and DNA sequence analysis.
The company offers competitive benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Short/Long Term Disability and Life Insurance, as well as 401(k) Match, Stock Options, Bonus, and Paid Leave Time.
- All new hires are required to go through background and reference checks
- Icagen is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets employer
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
- Icagen celebrates the diversity of life and welcomes all individuals to apply
- New hires based in the US will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption or accommodation to this vaccination requirement
Icagen Ligand provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.