Automotive Workshop Technician (
Information Technology | Belmont, CA | Contract
Automotive Workshop Technician (Long-term Contract)
Duration: 1 + Year
Location: Belmont, CA
The IECC Automotive Technician is unlike a general automotive technician. This role requires more latitude and creativity. As an integral partner to the engineering team, expert guidance is provided on implementation methods that alter or affect the end product. As such, high proficiency in collaboration, consultation, and technical expertise is needed to be successful.
In this self-directed role, the highly skilled automotive technician brings experience with prototyping and high voltage to contribute to the future of VW cars including the development of autonomous cars and electronic car development. The fabrication fabricate is required in order create custom parts for prototypes designed for engineering teams within the ERL, on various innovation and research and development projects with medium to high level of complexity.
The technician participates in failure analysis and problem solving tactics involving functional reliability and Engineering testing. This role is highly collaborative and supports other groups as needed, such as the Test Centers, APG, Marketing, etc. in collaborative projects like: test drives, repairs, tooling, etc.
• Support prototyping and engineering teams
• Fulfill engineering team requests by modifying prototypes and preproduction parts in vehicles.
• Integrate prototype units (coding, adaptation, wiring, etc.) into prototype vehicles.
• Create custom fabrication: mounts and display holder. This can include items made from plastic, steel, aluminum and wood.
• Problem solve with limited or ambiguous installation and wiring instructions.
• Update and flash ECUs/vehicle components (using VW Group applications).
• Proper documentation of all work done on vehicles and test benches
• Modify vehicle interiors for components that were not designed to fit while retaining aesthetics.
• Create custom wiring harnesses for vehicle components.
• Safety proponent: ensure workshop safety by engaging safety consultants to minimize workshop related risk (injury, damage, etc.); maintain OHSA standards: workshop maintenance, enforce and train on the proper utilization of safety equipment.
• Comply with all waste to EPA standards; prepare documentation for certified vehicle destruction.
• Support visiting technical VWGoA groups (APG, Test Centers, etc.).
• Maintain production records for all fleet vehicles: prototypes, pool, test
• Fleet repair and maintenance.
• Other duties as requested.
Qualifications (Skills & Experiences & Education)
Years of Experience: Minimum years of experience needed
• 3+ years as an automotive technician
• 2+ year of advanced diagnosis on complex issues
• Desired: 2+ years working with prototype vehicles
• Bachelor’s in Automotive Technology or Automotive Technical Training from a vocational school or equivalent in experience
• Desired: German language
• Desired: High Voltage Training from VW, Audi, or Porsche
• One of the following:
o VW Technician Training
o Audi Technician Training
o Audi Master Guild Certification
o VW Master Certification
o Porsche Bronze Technician Training
o Porsche Silver Technician Training
o Porsche Gold Technician Training
Skills: General skills needed to perform the job
• Solid experience as an Automotive Technician
• Machine shop skills
• Laboratory and test bench troubleshooting skills
• Organizational skills
• Follow through to complete tasks in a timely manner
• Documentation creation and management: purchase orders, work orders, processes, etc.
• Inventory management as needed
• Problem solving and analytical skills
• Conceptual thinking skills
• Diagnostic tools savvy
• Collaborative to work effectively and reliably with a team
• Effective communications and collaboration skills across cross functional teams
• Resource management (reuse project parts, reduce spend, etc.)
• Confidentiality due to work with preproduction automobiles
• Process improvements and analysis: workflow diagrams, Jira
Specialized Skills: Knowledge or certifications unique to this role
• Support prototyping and engineering teams
• Fabricate custom parts in the machine shop to modifying existing equipment and customize prototype components and parts: mill, lathe, TiG welding, MiG welding
• Desired: Solidworks CAD software
• Scan/diagnose Tool proficient
• Desired: Experience with prototype cars
• Desired: High-voltage training: hybrid aware
• Desired: Additional high voltage training that may include: high voltage technician, high voltage expert
• Desired: Experience with the use of test bench usage, troubleshooting and setup in a laboratory
• Microsoft Office: Outlook, Work, Excel, Power Point
• Jira or other ticketing systems
• Confluence or similar knowledge base application
• General vehicle maintenance and repair
Basic Automotive Repair
• Oil changes, tires, brakes, major service, , Audi/VW/Porsche Master Technician training
• Desired: EFK advanced high voltage training
• Scan Tool: Odis Service
• Scan Tool: Odis Engineering
• Scan Tool: iDex