IT | Portland, OR | Full Time
The Scrum Master is responsible for facilitating and promoting effective use of the scrum development methodology for OIA Global. The use of agile and scrum techniques transforms the software development process by allowing teams to deliver value while retaining flexibility in responding to shifting priorities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Guiding the team and organization on when and how to use Scrum practices and to what degree of rigor
- Guiding the team on how to get the most of out self organization that aligns with Scrum practices
- Guiding the team on self organizing to fill in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum frameworks.
- Assessing the Scrum Maturity of the team and organization and coaching them to the right level of maturity that is appropriate for them and organization.
- Diplomatically coaching stakeholders as well as the team as an agile advocate.
- Strongly support the team to ensure the commitments made at sprint planning are met and if there is a threat, it is broadcast promptly to the stakeholders.
- Working with the Team to concisely define and remove roadblocks/impediments.
- Building a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis of problem solving and achievement of results
- Assisting the team in making appropriate commitments through story selection and task definition.
- Facilitating discussion, decision making, prioritization and conflict resolution.
- Assisting with improving transparency, fostering collaboration, achieving velocity and sharing information
- Working with the Product Owner, especially with respect to grooming and maintaining the product backlog.
- Organizing and facilitating project planning, daily stand-up meetings, reviews, retrospectives, sprint and release planning, demos and other Scrum-related meetings.
- Tracking and communicating team velocity, sprint/release progress and status reporting.
- Communicating with developers, business analysts and business stake-holders on development issues and providing guidance for resolution.\
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or related field, or 3+ years related experience and/or training.
- Experienced as a Scrum Master. Scrum Master certification or verifiable course work desired.
- 2+ years of recent experience leading a software development team using Scrum that included multiple, frequent deployment to production
- Thorough knowledge of agile software development methodologies, values and procedures.
- Knowledge of technical software engineering techniques and software delivery life cycles
- Familiarity with business requirements analysis, project management, change management and process engineering methodologies.
- Knowledge of burndown metrics, velocity, user story development and task definition.
- Knowledge of patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach (example: numerous Burndown techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc)
- Experience being on multiple Scrum teams in a variety of different contexts (different team sizes, different organizations, different cultures, co-located vs. distributed, etc)
- Proven success in leading and driving complex, time critical software development projects.
- Strong working knowledge of project management.
- Proven success in removing impediments enabling teams to progress.
- Knowledge of software development best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, configuration management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Knowledge of cloud and infrastructure technologies
- Knowledge of relational data bases and web technologies.
- Knowledge of enterprise application integration and messaging technologies.
- Good skills and knowledge of leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills
- Exceptional facilitation skills
- Excellent coaching skills.
- Excellent team-building skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demeanor.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Highly proficient in the use of MS Office applications such as Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Visio.
- Proficient in the use of tools typically used in Scrum such as Microsoft Visual Studio Online, Version One, Jira, Kanban boards, Microsoft Project and others.
- Desired work experience to include globally distributed scrum teams that consist of employees and contractors
OIA Global Logistics is an equal opportunity employer. We are on a steep growth curve and offer opportunities for growth. Our culture is fun, diverse and collaborative, with a healthy work/life balance. We offer a wonderful work environment on the banks of the Willamette River. OIA employees enjoy competitive salaries and excellent benefits.