IMPORT OPERATIONS MANAGER
Operations | Portland, OR | Full Time
Since its founding in 1988, OIA has grown into a $1 billion supply chain management leader, delivering clients a unique combination of global logistics, packaging and materials sourcing solutions. With over 1,200 professionals in 64 owned offices and a worldwide presence in 28 countries, OIA designs innovative solutions that optimize supply chains around the world. OIA is privately owned by Indianapolis-based LDI, Ltd., with more than a century of experience funding and operating high potential, middle-market companies. For more information, please visit www.oiaglobal.comand www.ldiltd.com.
The Import Operations Manager will provide direction and management of all import activities at the Portland Branch. Primary duty is to manage brokerage and customs transactions and to ensure excellent, proactive and timely customer service. Duties will include supporting sales efforts on acquiring new import and brokerage business by preparing quotes and providing trade compliance information, and maintaining existing business by ensuring accurate, compliant and timely processing of shipments and clearances. The Import Operations Manager performs all duties correctly and in compliance with all government regulations, and is responsible for supervision and control of all US Customs related activities of the department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage 10-15 direct reports in Import Operations and facilitate the training & development of individuals in the department.
- Support the company’s USA network by providing remote clearance services in addition to local clearance activities.
- Assist in development of new business and establish guidelines to be followed on new customers assigned to department.
- Monitor and coordinate the progress of each shipment daily to ensure that appropriate and timely communication is provided to the customer, field sales, carriers, agents, etc. regarding changes or any challenges that may impact the customer’s shipment or operations.
- Act as a liaison between sales, agents, customers, operations, and various carriers regarding the routing of cargo and any special coordination involved.
- Issue or coordinate documentation required for international shipments and clearances.
- Oversee the review and implementation of all customer start up forms, classifications being used, and ensure that import compliance procedures are being met.
- Develop, organize, and maintain account profiles on specific customer/country requirements for assigned customer base. This includes updating rate information and shipping guidelines that need to be followed with each lane of traffic we handle.
- Audit, pay, and record freight, duty, and other miscellaneous bills pertaining to shipments processed within 48 hours of receipt.
- Assist Sales with occasional off-site customer visits. Participate in periodic customer business reviews; provide data on KPI’s.
- Keep current with changes in import laws and regulations.
- Five plus years of managing a team handling air and ocean imports, and Customs clearances.
- US Customs Broker’s License required.
- Must have prior experience with and knowledge of standard rules and regulations related to US Customs, import compliance, import documentation, and industry standards involved for each mode of transportation.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with proven experience in making sound and effective decisions.
- Ability to function autonomously and use good judgment in a diverse, global environment.
- A high level of energy and a "can-do" positive attitude.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Experience with Cargo Wise system a plus.
OIA Global Logistics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our culture is fun, diverse and collaborative. We offer an exciting and growth-oriented work environment, and OIA employees enjoy competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
OIA Global provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.