Housing Search and Information Specialist AmeriCorps Member
Direct Services | Lathrup Village, MI | Full Time and Temporary
Host Site: South Oakland Shelter
Position: Housing Search and Information Specialist AmeriCorps Member
Type: Full-Time (34 hours/week minimum)
Duration: October 9, 2017 – October 5, 2018
a. AmeriCorps Members will receive a living stipend of $12,630 paid bi-weekly.
b. Members will receive an Educational Award of $5,815 upon successful completion of service.
c. The program will provide health care coverage for full-time members, if they elect to enroll.
d. AmeriCorps members are not considered employees of the program, the host site, nor of the government.
Michigan’s Campaign to End Homelessness (CTEH) AmeriCorps Program will support service providers by increasing their capacity to offer assistance to homeless and at-risk individuals and families. Specifically, the AmeriCorps members in the CTEH program will provide services that will increase an individual’s self-sufficiency in the area of income and life skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Housing Search and Information Specialist Position:
- Assist with intakes to assess the housing needs of that client
- Address housing barriers for the client
- Create/update lists of available housing for the clients to choose from
- Maintain a caseload of 10-15 households and assist them in creating and implementing their housing plans
- Assist clients in completing applications for various housing opportunities
- Outreach to other local shelters to assist their clients in completing applications for various housing opportunities
- Connect clients with necessary funds to pay for security deposits, rental fees, or utility payments
- Maintain/develop relationships with local landlords
- Receive training for/conduct Housing Quality Standards (HQS) and other housing inspections
- Assist with independent living skills support related to addressing income and housing stabilization needs
- Gather and disperse food and clothing donations to clients
- Facilitate delivery of needed household items to clients who receive housing
- Generate information materials for clients, such as newsletters/pamphlets/etc.
- Provide follow-up support services as needed
- Transport clients to view potential housing locations
- Other housing responsibilities as assigned
- Assist SOS shelter clients in creating housing plans
Additional Member Activities:
- Recruit and train a minimum of 25 volunteers during the term of service
- Attend member orientation, monthly CTEH conference calls, webinars, and other events related to CTEH service
- Attend Michigan’s AmeriCorps Member Celebration
- Attend Michigan’s AmeriCorps Signature Service Project
- Attend the program’s regional, mid-year, and end-of-year trainings
- Plan and implement a service project for a CNCS sponsored national day of service which helps to address homelessness in their community
- Submit quarterly reports by the appropriate deadlines with all necessary information provided
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or a lawful, permanent resident of the U.S. and provide a copy of a birth certificate, passport or permanent resident card to prove citizenship;
- Have completed of some college or comparable work experience;
- Must be able to complete a full term of service (one year)
- Pass the following criminal history checks: State of Michigan, DHS Central Registry Clearance, FBI fingerprinting, and National Sex Offender Registry;
- Have a car or be able to arrange reliable transportation to and from service site and multiple mandatory training sessions in Lansing;
- Possess proficiency with word processing software and email;
- Be able to interact respectfully with individuals from diverse socio-economic backgrounds
South Oakland Shelter is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any qualified individual based on race, creed, religion, ethnicity or sexual orientation.
For more information on AmeriCorps, visit AmeriCorps.gov