Housing Outreach and Intake Specialist
Direct Services | Lathrup Village, MI | Part Time
For over 30 years, South Oakland Shelter (SOS) has been at the forefront of addressing the myriad needs of homeless and displaced persons throughout Oakland County. SOS implements housing-first programming, successfully operates a rotating emergency shelter, and provides various supportive services that move people from homelessness to long-term stability. Our mission is to build communities that end homelessness.
South Oakland Shelter is seeking a part-time Housing Outreach and Intake Specialist to work with individuals and families experiencing homelessness or at immediate risk of homelessness. The Housing Outreach and Intake Specialist will work with these households to determine eligibility for SOS’s Rapid Re-Housing and Homeless Prevention program, assist those who are eligible in securing and/or maintain their housing, and provide housing information and referrals for non-eligible households. Work will; be completed within Oakland County both within SOS’s office and out in the community.
- Conduct outreach at local shelters, warming centers, social service agencies, and other identified locations
- Determine and verify program eligibility of households
- Assess the household’s level of need using the VI- SPDAT
- Conduct program screenings and intakes using the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS)
- Assist eligible households in securing critical documents needed to secure housing (e.g. ID and birth certificates, etc.)
- Refer to other housing programs for which households may be eligible
- Assist clients in applying for mainstream benefits including: Section 8 and the Homeless Preference Voucher program and State Emergency Relief (SER)
- Work with eligible households in identifying and securing affordable housing. Including but not limited to, outreach to landlords, helping complete apartment applications, driving clients to view units, etc.
- Conduct Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection to ensure units are safe, prior to move-in
- Accompany clients at lease signing
- Input case notes into HMIS in real time
- Track engagement, activity, and outcomes in HMIS as well as in an internal tracking tool
- Refer and link 100% of households re-housed or prevented from becoming homelessness, to SOS’s Follow-up Care program, and ensure a smooth transition of cases
- Ensure the proper maintenance of client files and records
- Provide clients with ongoing information and referrals
- Reliable transportation
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Apps
- Flexible work hours and ability to work weekends
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to express empathy
- Experience with HMIS, VI-SPDAT, and HQS
- Bachelor's degree in related field or 1-2 years experience in human services
- Some knowledge of the social services landscape in Oakland County and surrounding areas
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills. South Oakland Shelter is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any qualified individual based on race, color, religion, national origin, status as a veteran, gender or gender identity, sex, age, sexual preference or orientation, marital status, disability, income, weight, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume online via JobScore.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, until the position is filled.
No phone or e-mail inquiries, please.