Development Associate, Community Engagement
Administration | Lathrup Village, MI | Full Time
Since 1985, South Oakland Shelter (SOS) has been at the forefront of addressing the myriad needs of homeless and displaced persons throughout Metro Detroit. SOS implements housing-first programming, operates an emergency shelter, and provides various supportive services that move people from homelessness to long-term stability. SOS also develops and operates affordable and supportive housing, and administers the HandUp crowdfunding platform for 100+ homeless service agencies and their clients across the United States. Our mission is to build communities that end homelessness.
South Oakland Shelter is seeking a Development Associate, Community Engagement to grow and strengthen its fundraising program. The ideal candidate thrives on meeting new people and stewarding relationships. This roles works with the Development Team to help implement SOS’s volunteer and internship programs, fundraising strategies, third-party events, crowdfunding campaigns, and public speaking/presentations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Fundraising & Third-party Events:
- Strategize with Development Team regarding individual and corporate donor cultivation
- Maintain and develop relationships with donors and prospective donors
- Accurately enter and maintain contact, gift and tracking data in database
- Manage, produce, and coordinate events, including host site coordinator appreciation meetings, Hope for the Holidays, SOS’s Annual Meeting, and special third-party fundraisers including coaching donors on facilitating SOS related fundraising campaigns on Rallybound and HandUp
- Work with Development Associate, Marketing & Communications on donor database management
- Assist Development Team in preparing letters and acknowledgments, within 48 hours of requests or donation receipt, as needed
- Assist Development Team with signature events as needed
- Attend networking, program and development events as needed
- Assist HandUp agency partners in creating and managing their HandUp campaigns. This includes reviewing and approving campaign language, activating campaigns, and sharing best practices on running campaigns.
- Approve HandUp member updates and donors words of encouragement.
- Assist in entering offline donations to HandUp, when needed
- Create and implement a schedule for HandUp webinars and training videos
- Maintain and develop relationships with HandUp agency partners
- Ensure volunteer experience is organized, efficient, meaningful and engaging for SOS volunteers.
- Provide frequently refreshed orientations and tours.
- Identify, communicate and follow-up on corporate volunteer hour match grant opportunities.
- Respond to volunteer and other inquiries in timely manner.
- Ensure background checks performed for volunteers as necessary.
- Ensure each volunteer group and individual volunteer receives a timely thank you communication.
- Establish and manage an internship program to support the efforts of SOS’s development and administrative staff.
Relationship Building & Public Speaking:
- Maintain and develop relationships with congregation coordinators
- Speak about the work of SOS and SOS programs including HandUp, and homelessness in our community at volunteer fairs, universities, congregations and television and radio
- Work with Program Team and Emergency Shelter Coordinator to identify and summarize uplifting client stories
- Work with Program Team and Emergency Shelter Coordinator to collect and file client photo release forms
In-Kind & Food Pantry Donations:
- Supervision and Maintenance of all in-kind donations received
- Responsible for maintaining a clean work environment (clothing closets, food pantry, vestibule drop off, etc.)
- Maintain tracking record for all in-kind donations using excel and eTapestry donor database system
- Managing the overflow of donations after they have been sorted
- Recruiting collections from congregations, businesses and schools
- Manage clothing collection vendors
Bachelor’s Degree (BA/BS) from an accredited college or university in a related field or equivalent work experience preferred.
Ability to prioritize, track and implement multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced, fundraising/marketing environment. Ability to manage a high volume workload while achieving quality standards. Strong writing and oral communication skills required. Attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy. Uses strong analytical skills and problem solving to perform job functions and improve processes. Knowledge of donor database applications (CRM) experience is desirable. High level computer skills with thorough knowledge of word processing, Excel and database systems.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume online via JobScore.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, until the position is filled.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills. South Oakland Shelter is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any qualified individual based on race, creed, religion, national origin, color, status as a veteran, gender or gender identity, sex, age, sexual preference or orientation, marital status, disability, income, weight, or any other basis prohibited by law.