Sr. Data Scientist
Data & Business intelligence | El Segundo, CA | Full Time
Sr. Data Scientist
El Segundo, CA
Nexon, a world leader in online games, is building a workplace based on mutual respect, good humor, and the pursuit of excellence because we believe that great games can only be built by amazing people. Our vision is to create high quality, innovative online games that create unforgettable experiences for players around the world.
Nexon has an ever-expanding worldwide team of over 6,000 employees, and boasts a diverse global portfolio that includes titles like MapleStory, Dungeon Fighter Online, KartRider and many more. If you want to be part of building an exciting game company and help chart the course of online gaming, let’s talk!
About the role:
The Sr. Data Scientist is responsible for developing advanced machine learning algorithms and statistical models to solve critical problems and help deliver the best customer experiences. The Data Scientist partners with Business teams, Platform team, Security team, and other stakeholders to implement data science models into live production systems. The Data Scientist brings fresh perspectives to inform decision-making toward better player experience by translating player voice into insights.
What you'll be doing:
- Apply your expertise in quantitative analysis, data visualization and data-mining to tell the story behind numbers and find relevant insights for partners and leadership
- Research and develop state-of-the-art machine learning, data mining, and statistical modeling solutions to understand game design, system performance and key business behaviors, such as player acquisition and retention
- Establish scalable, automated processes for large scale data extraction, model development, model validation and model implementation
- Design, prototype, and implement new ways to effectively communicate data science findings
- Effectively translate statistical findings into actionable recommendations for senior leaders on game design and business teams
- Analyze player big data, developing and testing data-fueled hypotheses, extracting useful information and turning it into helpful insight that can help us improve players' experiences
- Bring a fresh perspective and a new dimension of analysis to bear on the challenge of identifying
What skills you'll need:
- 5+ years of experience translating data to insight to recommendations
- BS (MS/PhD Preferred) in quantitative discipline (e.g. Math, Physics, Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Economics)
- Expertise in machine learning and statistical analysis approaches such as classification, clustering, regression, statistical inference, collaborative filtering, natural language processing, experimental design, social networking analysis, etc.
- Experience managing advanced analytics projects which solve complex analytical problems using data mining technologies
- Expertise in automating and deploying models in production systems
- Experience with Big Data technologies (AWS EMR, Spark, Presto, Hadoop, etc.)
- A true passion for understanding customer behavior on-platform and in-game
- Expert analytical and problem solving skills, plus the ability to innovate and work independently
- Strong skills in statistical methods (e.g. hypothesis testing, time series modeling)
- Strong SQL skills and strong Python or R skills; familiarity with Jupyter or RStudio
- Familiar with Hadoop, Apache Spark framework, SQL/NoSQL, Snowflake
- Strong skills in building dashboards and visualizations (e.g Tableau, PowerBI, Quicksight)
- Online gaming experience a BIG PLUS!
- Experience in marketing machine leaning project a big plus
Nexon’s benefits and perks:
We offer medical, dental and vision plans for you, your spouse or domestic partner and your children. Employees who enroll in the high deductible health plan receive an annual employer contribution to a health savings account and company paid hospital indemnity benefits. We also provide company paid life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability benefits as well as access to voluntary life and AD&D for yourself and your dependents, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) savings plan with a company match, and pet insurance. Nexies are encouraged to take advantage of our monthly wellness credit, participate in lunchtime yoga, and enroll in language classes. We host bi-monthly catered lunches, monthly happy hours, and maintain a well-stocked snack bar. To help you maintain a good work life balance, we offer paid time off, sick days, company holidays, and a year-end break.
Nexon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.