Children’s Chorus Director
Preparatory School | Boston, MA | Part Time
New England Conservatory, an independent not-for-profit institution, is recognized internationally as a leader among music schools, educating and training musicians of all ages from around the world. With music students representing more than 40 countries, NEC cultivates a diverse, dynamic community for students, providing them with performance opportunities and high-caliber training by 225 internationally esteemed artist-teachers and scholars. NEC pushes the boundaries of making and teaching music through college-level musical training in classical, jazz, and Contemporary Improvisation. It offers unique interdisciplinary programs such as Entrepreneurial Musicianship and Community Performances & Partnerships that empower students to create their own musical opportunities. As part of NEC's mission to make lifelong music education available to everyone, the Preparatory School and School of Continuing Education delivers training and performance opportunities for children, pre-college students, and adults.
NEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
New England Conservatory (NEC) has determined that the highest possible rate of COVID-19 vaccination offers the best assurance of safeguarding the health of all members of our community. Therefore, NEC is requiring all employees to receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine by September 3, 2021. All newly hired employees at NEC must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. Additionally, all members of the NEC community are required to receive a COVID-19 vaccine booster by February 1, 2022, or within fourteen days of eligibility. For more information, please contact NEC Human Resources.
New England Conservatory’s Preparatory School (NEC Prep) seeks a part-time Children’s Chorus Director and welcomes faculty applications to join a highly collaborative and motivated teaching community. This is an on-campus position with an application deadline of June 28, 2022.
Nationally recognized as a resource for outstanding young musicians, NEC Prep provides training to more than 1,400 children who enjoy a variety of learning experiences including chamber music and orchestra, contemporary improvisation, jazz, composition, theory, and singing. NEC Prep aspires to make students life-long musicians and music lovers.
With more than 250 faculty and a relationship with the Walnut Hill School, NEC Prep is a community where any child can study music while being surrounded by the highest caliber of music educators. NEC Prep faculty members may teach in a variety of settings, including studio, classroom, small ensembles, sectional coachings, and large ensemble rehearsals.
NEC Prep features an extensive offering of ensembles with three choruses offered as part of the Children’s Chorus program. The program is designed to supplement early instrumental studies, the theory program, choral fundamentals, and vocal techniques. The Children’s Choruses perform in New England Conservatory’s Jordan Hall and may perform at special events throughout Greater Boston. Chorus rehearsals occur weekly on NEC’s campus throughout the academic year.
- Prepare students to perform in concerts and other performances throughout the year.
- Provide four hours of vocal training on Saturdays which includes fifteen rehearsals/class meetings per ensemble during each semester, as well as presenting several performances over the course of the academic year.
- Create an inspiring and high-quality musical and educational environment for the choristers through experiential learning in vocal and choral performance techniques, music theory and appreciation.
- Select repertoire around thematic programming.
- Participate fully in auditions and the placement processes for the Children’s Choruses while working closely with NEC’s Director of Choral Activities and NEC Prep staff, including an ensemble manager and collaborative pianist, to ensure the highest standards of artistry and educational experience for students and parents.
- Participate in strategic enrollment initiatives with NEC Prep staff which may include outreach programming in the community.
- Participate in other NEC Prep activities and functions as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Music, with an emphasis on vocal education and/or choral conducting; Master’s degree in Music is preferred.
- Minimum of five years of music teaching experience at the elementary and/or junior high/middle school level.
- Excellent command of vocal/choral performance techniques and choral conducting experience required.
- Commitment to understanding of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging challenges in education.
- Keyboard skills are desirable (a regular accompanist is provided).
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of choral literature suitable for children’s voices, covering genres from the classical tradition to folk, jazz, spirituals, and music of varying ethnicities and traditions.
- Candidates must possess the ability to differentiate successfully and deliver instruction to meet the diverse needs of students of all ages, backgrounds and ability levels.
- Exceptional judgment, discretion, and integrity when working with students in an educational environment.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Ability to effectively communicate with students, parents, other faculty and staff.
Annual Clery Report
In accordance with the federal Clery and Campus SaVE Acts, New England Conservatory of Music (NEC) commits to providing all current and prospective students and employees with access to the annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report. This report will provide the reader with a record of statistics regarding crimes that were reported in the NEC community during the previous three years as well as College policies and procedures, in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act.This report may be accessed here View the report. A paper copy can be requested by contacting NEC's Director of Public Safety at 290 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115.