Senior Development Manager, Cause & Retail
Resource Development | Chevy Chase, MD | Full Time
4-H, the nation’s largest youth development organization, grows confident young people who are empowered for life today and prepared for career tomorrow. 4-H programs empower nearly six million young people across the U.S. through experiences that develop critical life skills. In the U.S., 4-H serves every county and parish through our network of 110 universities and more than 3000 local offices. 4-H garners support from a unique private-public partnership of universities, federal and local government agencies, foundations and professional associations. 4-H is the private sector, non-profit partner of the Cooperative Extension System and 4-H National Headquarters located at the National Institute of Food and Agriculture within the United States Department of Agriculture.
4-H seeks a Sr. Manager, Cause & Retail to contribute to the Resource Development (RD) fundraising goal that includes coordinating solicitation of grants ranging from $50K to $1M from major national corporations to support unrestricted operational efforts as well as brand and visibility initiatives. The Sr. Manager will also work in partnership with the Vice President of Development, Account Management and Program teams to implement RD’s team plan successfully. He/she will strategize and contribute in all areas of RD’s team including planning, prospecting & cultivation, new business development, donor deliverables and reporting.
Development Portfolio Duties
- Secure and steward annual portfolio of $500K - $1M to achieve Council fundraising goals to support programmatic expansion and Council organizational needs.
- Drive new business development and pipeline growth through a variety of mechanisms including prospecting, cultivation at conferences and other events, and leveraging relationships of Trustees and members of senior leadership.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of corporate giving interests, staff and trends particularly in the cause marketing industry.
- Develop and facilitate relationships for donor cultivation, new development opportunities and reporting on successful completion of initiatives.
Cross-Organizational Collaboration Duties
- Stay informed about organizational needs and strategies
- Work with research and corporate writer for high quality prospecting and proposals development.
- Partner with program, marketing, digital, account management and finance teams to develop integrated 360-degree proposals that align with Council and donor initiatives.
Strategic Communication Duties
- Monitor activity via reports and frequent customer contact.
- Partner with Account Manager to develop and deliver formal performance reports to each assigned account at least once annually.
- Lead and supervise other projects as required by Vice President of Development.
- Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit management, public administration, business administration, sales management, or related discipline, or equivalent in work experience (master’s degree preferred.)
- three+years experience working with high-level donor representatives and volunteer Board members.
- five+ years experience in successful corporate or foundation fundraising.
- Five to seven years of relationship management experience, including creating and growing relations between private and non-profit sectors.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and ability to work across various technology platforms, including virtual and video conferencing, collaborative documents.
- Ability to lead and support a cross-funcational team, including strong project management and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook).
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge or equivalent fundraising/CRM software preferred.
- Ability to perform in a team-oriented environment.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize.
ADA Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required.
- This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- Basic math skills needed to calculate formulas, commissions, discounts, etc.
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds.
Travel Requirements: Travel may be necessary, up to 20% of the time (5 days/month; local, regional & national). Would require travel by air, car, rail.
Career Ladder: This position typically has the following career ladder:
- Development Director
- Senior Development Director
- Vice President of Development