Phlebotomist - Metro Detroit Area
Collections | Detroit, MI | Full Time and Part Time
Works under the supervision of lead, supervisor, senior staff, and/or clinicians within the Laboratory or Office. Consistently creates an exceptional experience with each patient and office interaction. Adheres to established Laboratory procedure and quality guidelines. Consistently represents MSU Health Care Laboratory in a professional manner.
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Openings available for Full-time and Part-time positions
- Greets and communicates in a manner consistent with caring and respect and dealing with confidentiality. Answers telephone, takes messages, welcomes patients and provides / relays information in a manner consistent with laboratory standards.
- Serves as a resource to patients, lab clients, and Office staff regarding specimen requirements and processing.
- Processes orders, performs computer order entry and other related activities per standard, which may include registering clients, contacting providers for issue resolution, entering charges for services, and resulting tests.
- Utilizes standard venipuncture techniques to collect appropriate blood specimens by adhering to correct collection and transport protocol including positive patient identification.
- May receive specimens collected by office staff. Checks for proper labeling and completed lab requisition before routing to the lab.
- Follows all MSU Health Care Laboratory procedures and policies. May be required to serve at multiple locations during a given shift (Site dependent).
- Follow all lab safety procedures to minimize risk to self and others; reports gaps and escalates as necessary.
- Committed to the continuous improvement of the patient experience which includes patient safety, quality of care and excellent service. Adhere to the organization’s published values.
Required High School Diploma or equivalent and graduate of a Phlebotomy training program preferred.
Preferred Associate's Degree Healthcare related field.
1 year of relevant experience dealing with the public, preferably in the medical or customer service field Preferred.
- CRT-Phlebotomy Technician - NHA National Healthcareer Association preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must be reliable and punctual for every shift.
Communicates clearly and concisely with accuracy, credibility and confidence, both verbal and written.
Works well in a medical office or laboratory setting.
Strong physician and clinic staff relations experience.
Strong organizational skills.
Must be flexible and available based on staffing requirements; including evenings and weekends.
Must have the ability to multitask, work within tight deadlines and prioritize conflicting demands while working effectively.
Must have the ability to listen actively when spoken to and effectively communicate to clinic staff, Account Manager, Lead or Supervisor.
Valid Driver’s License
Non exempt, hourly positions
Who We Are:
MSU Health Care Laboratories is a value-based, state-of-the-art clinical laboratory on a mission to elevate the lab space through compliance, high ethics, innovation and a best in class client experience. MSU Health Care Laboratories incorporate the latest technology and methods to provide comprehensive diagnostics including toxicology testing, pathogen detection, blood testing and Pharmacogenomics (PGx) testing.
Expected Use and Disclosure of Protected Health Information:
Employees in this position are expected to have access to protected health information and other confidential business information from throughout the organization as is needed to fulfill their responsibilities in evaluating and reducing risk to the organization. No protected health information will be disclosed outside the organization unless specifically required by state or federal law. *This document is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed and the requirements of the position. It is not intended to serve as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills and responsibilities of personnel so classified; nor is it intended to limit the right of any leader to assign or direct employees under his/her direction.