Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory Scientist
Laboratory | Waterford Township, MI | Full Time
Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory Scientist
A molecular diagnostic laboratory scientist utilizes molecular biology technologies and provides accurate and timely testing and results to clinicians for use in the diagnosis and treatment of patients. Continuing education and thorough understanding of testing principles, quality control, and teamwork are essential to this position. Duties and responsibilities uphold quality patient care and service, adherence to regulations governing high complexity clinical testing, and a positive and productive work environment.
Location: Clinical laboratory located in Waterford, MI
Schedule: Full-time, 10-hour shifts with rotating weekends and holidays
Benefits: 401(k), dental insurance, health insurance, paid time off
- Master's or bachelor's degree in a chemical, physical, biological, or clinical laboratory science, or medical technology from an accredited institution.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in a molecular diagnostics laboratory performing testing procedures and utilizing a laboratory information system.
- Experience with nucleic acid extraction techniques and real-time PCR.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office applications, including Microsoft Excel, and ability to perform laboratory mathematics.
- Highly motivated and detail-oriented, capable of performing multifaceted activities with effective time-management skills, as well as having excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess analytical abilities to gather and interpret data, recognize, and implement process improvement strategies.
- Ability to work and succeed in a team environment.
- Ability to perform all duties as required of a Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory Scientist.
- Relevant certification from a recognized authority, e.g., MB (ASCP).
- Experience with pharmacogenetic testing and/or use of MALDI-TOF Mass Spectrometry for genotyping, e.g., Agena MassARRAY system.
- Experience in application of molecular technologies for infectious disease diagnostics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a positive and professional demeanor and commitment to the team effort.
- Maintain a clean and orderly working environment.
- Comply with all Federal, State, and accrediting agency regulations and guidelines (MDHHS, CLIA, OSHA, COLA, and CAP).
- Adhere to HIPAA regulations concerning the confidentiality of patient information.
- Be proficient in the handling of patient specimens from accession to storage. Sample types include, but are not limited to, urine, oral fluid, nasopharyngeal swabs, genital swabs.
- Be proficient with the laboratory information management system (LIMS) and enter patient demographics and test results without errors.
- Prepare reagents, quality controls, and standards.
- Assist with monitoring inventory of all necessary lab reagents/supplies, coordinate placing orders as needed, and ensure proper handling and documentation of new lots of reagents.
- Perform high complexity tests that are authorized by the laboratory director and commensurate with training and technical abilities. This may include various molecular test methods, including but not limited to nucleic acid extraction, real-time PCR analysis and MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry genotyping analysis.
- Maintain, operate and trouble-shoot instrumentation with minimal supervision; recognize issues that should be immediately brought to the attention of senior staff.
- Follow the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of quality control and patient test results.
- Adhere to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
- Maintain and document up-to-date competencies, certifications, and relevant continuing education.
- Assist in the validation of new tests and instrumentation. Assist in developing, revising, and implementing improvements to standard operating procedures, quality control programs, and maintenance plans.
- Inform senior staff of improper lab practices or errors.
- When required, assist in sample send-outs and in communicating test results or sample issues with client services or clients.
- Perform any additional duties required of this position as new methods and procedures are developed.
- Contribute to special projects and new initiatives as assigned.
- This list should not be considered all-inclusive.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to do the following:
- Frequently utilize/apply manual dexterity and fine motor skills.
- Occasionally lift greater than 30 pounds or manipulate tanks/reservoirs.