Director, Packaging Design
Creative | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
The Director of Packaging Design is responsible for the development, execution and production of all brand packaging concepts and 3D design expression across all Morphe and 3rd Party brands. The Packaging Lead oversees a team of designers and production artists in the conceptualization and execution of various forms of 3D brand expression, including product and launch conceptualization, component development and design, secondary packaging, PR kits and marketing materials, limited edition and custom packaging projects. In collaboration with the Creative Director, the position will identify trends and inspiration for each product and conceptualize and appropriate design solutions, strategies, and systems that reflect and develop the brand look as well as maintaining and evolving core packaging. This position is responsible for collaborating and gaining alignment cross functionally with multiple stakeholders across the organization as well as with external partners, influencers, 3rd party brands, to deliver elevated brand expressions which address all business needs throughout all forms of customer and external partner contact. While this person is extremely hands-on in conceptualization, design, and brand development, they also are a strong collaborator, manager, process thinker, and business thinker.
- Conceptualizes highly creative and innovative brand expressions to address brand and product strategies, and translate into products which create engaging customer experiences, which excite and support customers as well as support business strategies.
- Partner closely with brand, product development, visual merchandising, marketing, social, and creative teams to support key messaging / design objectives for all projects.
- Partner with VP of Creative to concept key product and seasonal presentations for executive review.
- Partner with Brand, Product Development, Sourcing, and Creative Operations to ensure that all product standards are developed, maintained and adapted as needed, and projects are on time and within budget.
- Partner with Brand, Product Development, Regulatory, Sourcing, and Creative Ops to create and refine processes and workflow.
- Manage a team of designers and production artists, both internal, freelance and contract resources, as well as a multitude of external vendors in delivery of all projects.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Minimum 5-8 years experience in packaging design, component development, and industrial design.
- BA, Industrial Design or Graphic Design degree preferred.
- Proficient in 3D/CAD software (eg. Cinema 4D, 3D Studio Max, Solidworks, Rhino), Rendering software (eg. Houdini, Keyshot), Google Sketchup, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Microsoft Office.
- Must have a strong working knowledge 3D and 2D modeling and rendering principles and practice, industrial design processes and considerations, graphic design, typography, composition, color proofing, print processes, cosmetics product development.
- High level of initiative, able to work independently on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent ability to develop conceptual brand expressions, design strategies and branding systems, and designing product componentry and secondary packaging.
- Strong conceptual, organizational, prioritization, management, and analytical skills.
- Strong oral and written presentation and communication.
- Must be detail oriented, able to prioritize tasks, delegate appropriately, and able to work under pressure with multiple deadlines and shifting timelines.
Must be able to perform essential functions (with or without an accommodation) without posing a "direct threat" to the health and safety to self or others.
The Company reserves the right to alter, change, abolish and even combine jobs depending upon changing conditions.
No recruitment agencies, please.