Internal Application: Director, Merchandising - 3rd Party Brands
Brand Development | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Summary of Position:
The Director, Merchandising – 3rd party is responsible for achieving financial and strategic goals for our 3rd party brands - sales, inventory and product activation. The position will develop and implement department objectives, brand strategies, client needs and visual presentation within the Morphe retail store environment. This role requires a creative thinker who is willing to take calculated risks with an ability to source and foster new opportunities to grow the business, all while developing and cultivating team and cross functional relationships.
- Creates and collaborates with Vice President on short and long-term merchandising strategies for 3rd party brands that meet and exceed company objectives
- Develop and implement execution of these strategies along with annual & seasonal business plans to drive sales/profits
- Develop a strategic point of view of category growth plans and product pipeline needs for 3rd Party brands
- Plan and present seasonal strategies to cross functional teams, including 3rd party partners and senior level executives
- Incubate, build and maintain strong partnerships with 3rd party vendors. Be THE resource for these brands to help facilitate and share Morphe expertise where needed.
- Analyze all elements of the business by tracking and monitoring sales information in order to identify opportunities and make recommendations to increase sales and maximize inventory. Detailed understanding of market and competitive landscape.
- Partner with 3rd Party brands on product pipeline, sales forecast, inventory, assets needs and marketing activation (both Morphe channels and 3rd Party brand channels)
- Negotiate with 3rd party brands for exclusive products/leads/co-branded product
- Partner with inventory planning to provide budgets/forecasts for each launch and core products. Partner with Planning to adjust forecasts as needed monthly. Co-build new product buys and annual budgets. Own and manage hindsight meetings.
- Create robust launch strategies for key product launches with cross-functional partners: VM, Planning, Order Management/Allocations, Social, eComm, Education, Field and Events to achieve and exceed sales forecast.
- Co-develop and manage sampling strategy 3rd party brands to ensure the right samples are procured and maximized through available channels
- Manage gratis program and employee discount program for 3rd party brands
- Provide weekly, monthly and seasonal business recaps; ad hoc reporting and analysis as needed.
- Communicate brand and business strategies/opportunities to our field & store teams
- Lead assortment strategy and pitches for curated exposures that align with the merchandising focuses/campaign calendar
- Manages and oversees timely updating of all key business documents; floor maps, asset by bay planning/planograms, promotional calendars, marketing activation, vendor reporting (sales, T&D, RTV’s) and productivity reports
- Partner with 3rd party brands on creative/editorial retail asset needs for both new launches and existing core products. In some cases leveraging internal Morphe creative teams to help supplement.
- Partner with cross functional teams to ensure consistency in 3rd party brand messaging/initiatives/activation across all retail touch points, including eCommerce and social
- Oversee the execution of merchandising updates from VM brief to in store execution in partnership with cross functional partners (3rd party brands themselves, visual merchandising & eComm) to ensure an optimized and commercially relevant brand presentation
- Manage the bottoms up annual and seasonal updates VM budget for 3rd party brands. Responsible for partnering with VM to stay within budget on all update/retrofits.
- Build strong and effective relationships with internal teams including Planning, Inventory Management, Allocations, Education, Social, Visual Merchandising, Operations, Field, Events, International Morphe Teams and the Morphe influencer community
- Communicate direction to team members within business unit to ensure that each initiative is developed and executed successfully
- Constantly developing, mentoring, and training the team. Championing a work environment that embodies a positive work space.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Degree in merchandising, finance, or business preferred
- Minimum 8+ years experience at a retail buying office, within merchandising and/or planning
- Demonstrated ability to develop category/brand strategies
- Experience with supervising and developing direct reports
- High-level problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication, presentation and negotiation skills
- Flexible teammate with ability to influence others
- Good judgment and analytical ability
- Comfortability with ambiguity and navigating a complex business
- Experience in beauty industry or real passion for cosmetics a plus
- Technical skills – MS Office; merchant systems
- Ability to travel
Must be able to perform essential functions (with or without an accommodation) without posing a "direct threat" to the health and safety to self or others.
The Company reserves the right to alter, change, abolish and even combine jobs depending upon changing conditions.
No recruitment agencies, please.