Team Fox Officer - Community Fundraiser
Fundraising | New York, NY | Full Time
The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) was founded in 2000 with one clear objective: accelerating meaningful therapeutic advances and, ultimately, a cure for Parkinson’s disease. The Foundation applies extraordinary scientific, business and media assets to this singular focus—thus creating a unique and dynamic organization. Since inception, MJFF has quickly grown into the largest funder of Parkinson’s disease research outside the U. S. federal government, having funded $450 million in research projects globally in both academic and industry labs. In 2013, MJFF had a nearly $90 million annual revenue budget and about 90 full-time employees. MJFF is located in New York City.
Team Fox is MJFF’s grassroots fundraising program which is focused on raising funds and awareness for Parkinson’s research in local communities. Team Fox members all across the United States and in select international cities work with the Team Fox staff to receive special resources and tools to help turn marathons, golf tournaments or special events into fundraising opportunities. Some Team Fox fundraisers honor a loved one, some celebrate an occasion and many just want to make a difference in our goal to eradicate Parkinson’s disease.
In Team Fox's first seven years, members raised an astounding $27 million with revenues expected to top $6.5 million in 2014. This diverse community of change-makers continues to grow and inspire us every day. MJFF is poised to dramatically expand this program in the coming years and seeks an experienced and dynamic development officer to staff this exciting and growing program.
The position of Team Fox Officer is a unique opportunity for a dedicated, entrepreneurial, results-oriented community fundraiser to make a significant impact on our growing Create Your Own Event (COE) program within the Team Fox program. The Team Fox Officer will work closely with the Director of Development and the Team Fox staff dedicated to promoting, recruiting, managing and retaining new and returning Team Fox members (fundraisers) across the country. In 2013, over 1100 Team Fox members created or participated in over 450 Team Fox community fundraising events in US, Canada, and 20 other countries.
- Implement and manage both general and seasonal promotions, recruitment strategies, lead conversion, and fundraising support for new and returning Team Fox members interested in creating their own, or participating in, a grass-roots community fundraising event.
- Responsible for day-to-day stewardship and retention of new and returning Team Fox members and their contributors, including managing a portfolio of high capacity fundraisers
- In association with Team Fox staff and management, develop strategies to significantly expand base of members and new revenue possibilities. This will include developing new fundraising initiatives and campaigns that will engage members and their communities.
- 25% travel to significant Team Fox member events. *Travel and attendance on weekends is anticipated.
- Collaborate with digital communications on developing strategies and creating content for Team Fox online marketing and promotions
- Manage revenue and expense budgets, including reports and reconciliation
- Ensure coordination and collaboration between the Team Fox colleagues and other MJFF staff members. This includes sourcing new high capacity fundraisers for the Advancement team to cultivate.
- Support Team Fox recognition events, including our MVP Awards Dinner, and other MJFF special events as needed.
Key qualities of an outstanding Officer are strong interpersonal skills, positive disposition, strong written and verbal communication skills, goal-oriented, excellent decision-making and judgment skills, strong project management skills as well an innate sense of pace and urgency. Equally important is the ability to work productively and proactively, both independently and as part of a larger team.
- The ideal candidate must have a minimum of two to three (2-3) years demonstrated experience of success in development or relationship management at a not-for-profit, commensurate experience in the private sector or in an entrepreneurial setting, with a proven track record of organizing community fundraising events, ideally programs with a national scope
- Experience cultivating high capacity volunteers, donors, sponsors and partners
- Experience in project management
- Proficient in Excel and MS Office Suite
- Experience in social networking and website tools and administration
- Strong data analysis skills and working with budgets
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and public speaking experience
- Experience in supervising volunteer development programs (mentors, ambassadors, committees etc.)
- B.A. Degree required
The Michael J. Fox Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.Top of Form 1