Office Manager & Operations Specialist
Administration | New York, NY | Full Time
The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) was founded in 2000 with one clear objective: finding a cure for Parkinson’s disease (PD) in our lifetime. The Foundation applies extraordinary scientific, business and media assets to this singular focus—thus creating a unique and dynamic organization. Since inception, MJFF has quickly grown into the largest global funder of Parkinson’s disease research outside the U. S. federal government, having funded over $325 million in research projects in both academic and industry labs worldwide. Our portfolio has grown commensurate with our fundraising success and we made over $56 million in new grants in 2012. Core to our philosophy is how we think of our capital and its risk profile relative to other stakeholders in the drug development pipeline. We work aggressively to de-risk various treatment ideas and tools in the hopes of building a robust pipeline of new treatments for patients. Today, the Foundation has over 80 full-time employees. This is an onsite and hands-on position in our New York (Midtown West) office and is not conducive to telecommuting.
The Office Manager is responsible for managing day-to-day office services at the Foundation’s two offices including maintenance and repairs, management of reception function, supervision of Receptionist/Administrative Assistant, conference room services, managing office budget and expense payments as well as mail and office operations. Specific responsibilities of the Office Manager include but are not limited to:
- Managing day-to-day office operations (such as mail and delivery handling, distributing building access keys and back-up to security access cards and postal needs, etc.).
- Managing reception services to ensure professionalism and customer focused communications both internally and externally.
- Managing the maintenance and alteration of office areas including kitchen, as well as layout, arrangement and housekeeping of office facilities.
- Managing the maintenance and support of the phone system, conference call services and billing.
- Serve as point person for all main office staff on issues related to office services and maintenance issues, including review and follow-up on work orders and providing information on project status to relevant staff.
- Managing facilities and ensuring a safe, clean, fully functioning and cost effective environment
- Negotiates the purchase of office and pantry supplies, and mail room supplies in accordance with company purchasing policies and budgetary restrictions.
- Monitors the office budget and handles vendor and lease invoice payments.
- Manage daily administrative office functions.
- Managing conference room services including requested support (ordering food, supplies, materials printing, room set-up).
- Coordinate space needs with various departments.
- Liaise with building management on issues such as requests and repairs.
- Manage various vendor relationships, including cost comparisons and negotiating contracts.
- Responsible for the mailroom, office supplies, movement of records, deliveries, etc.
- Work closely with members of management to maintain standards and comply with policies and procedures.
- Supervising Receptionist/Administrative Assistant and managing front desk and receiving
- Participates and assists as needed with special projects and events.
- Administrative Support to CFAO as needed, including preparing expense reports, reimbursements and payment requests.
The ideal candidate will lead by example and proactively provide support and guidance to employees and support the CFAO on Foundation-wide office operations and activities. This position requires creativity and resourcefulness to apply concepts, plans and strategies and accomplish goals and objectives. The Office Manager is expected to exercise judgment, defining work objectives and determining methods and systems to meet a high level of excellence in performance and in achieving goals. The Foundation’s is a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment. The Office Manager will be expected to be a collaborative and engaged member of the Administrative team. We are seeking an individual who would enjoy immersing him or herself in the Foundation’s culture and mission focused practices toward a cure for Parkinson’s disease.
Qualifications and Experience Needed:
- B.A. degree and a minimum of 3-5 years demonstrated successful experience in progressive office management/services; demonstrated prior experience in setting up and implementing effective office management systems. Prior experience in handling office renovation a plus.
- Must have strong interpersonal, communication (oral and written), organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent computer skills, including, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Ideal Candidates will also possess:
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative
- Organizational savvy skill set, outstanding negotiation skills and ability to influence others
- Ability to work with people at all levels; openly engaging, energetic and diplomatic personality
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Sense of humor and ability to remain calm and professional under pressure
- Thrives and enjoys working in a fast-paced and fun environment
- Ability to maintain composure, be flexible, exercise discretion and make sound professional judgment.
- Willingness to "roll-up sleeves" with a positive, can-do attitude
- Other important qualities required; a "can-do" attitude; reasonable and enthusiastic; encourages a team environment; visionary, problem solver and decision maker; high level of accountability and takes responsibility.
How to Apply:
- Interested candidates should send a resume and thoughtful cover letter describing your specific qualifications and interest in the position.
- Please, no telephone inquiries. Applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted.
- The Michael J. Fox Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.